Conversion to Excel

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Conversion to Excel

Post by Arnold »

I used PDF XChange and PDF Transformer to convert 24 pages of tables to Excel files with different results. The results from Transformer are definitely more usable, and font size can be changed without things falling apart. Is this because there was an intermediate OCR operation with Transformer?

This is not meant to be criticism of any kind, as I purchased Transformer specifically because it's strengths are OCR and conversion. At that point, your Enhanced OCR feature did not even exist. From what I see here, conversion has been improved in PDF XChange, just as OCR has been, as pointed out in a previous post.

The results I was trying to achieve are in the Excel file called Howard Middle.xlsx. I could have achieved the same results using the PDF XChange conversion file, but it would have taken a fair bit longer to do. Both conversion files and the source PDF file are also attached.

That being said, there is absolutely no way I could substitute XChange with Transformer on a day to day basis. I hope at some point to no longer need to have Transformer installed, just as I no longer have Acrobat installed.

Thank you for wading through this long winded post.
Downloads.zip
(462.06 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Arnold
User

Re: Conversion to Excel

Post by Arnold »

Using ASAP Utilities for Excel I was able to clean up most problems I had with the PDF Exchange conversion file. It was then pretty close to what Transformer produces. Most of the problems stemmed it seems from cell formatting, borders, empty columns, etc.

It was somewhat time consuming. Would it be possible for the PDF XChange conversion feature to have a setting to produce basic info much like Transformer does?

Thanks.

Columns & Rows.png
Clean Data.png
Arnold
User

Re: Conversion to Excel

Post by Arnold »

"It was somewhat time consuming. Would it be possible for the PDF XChange conversion feature to have a setting to produce basic info much like Transformer does?"

Any consideration being given to this feature request from the previous post?

I would imagine most people exporting to Excel could do without the formatting since they want to use the data for further analysis.