Searching within paswword protected documents

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bernard meunier
User

Post by bernard meunier »

Hi,

I have a lot of password protected PDF documents with mostly same pwd for all except few ones along many unprotected ones.

I there a way to search for string within all documents within a specified folder?

Currently I'm not asked by password at all when doing a folder search.

Being able to be asked for password when a doc is password protected, retaining password(s) during the search session would be great.

Is that possible from within PDF-XChange Editor?

Of course, I can mass unprotect all docs first using PDFtools but this would be time consuming… and also this will alter last modification date which is not desired.

I'm sure this could be a nice enhancement as well :wink:

Regards
Bernard
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Searching within paswword protected documents

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, bernard meunier

Currently this is not possible, but we do have a password management function in PDF-Tools which I am discussing with out Dev team about bringing over to the Editor in the future.

I cannot make any promises for how it will work, but most likely it will remember passwords on a per document basis. This means that as long as you have opened that exact document, entered the password at least once (since implementing this feature) and used a checkbox to "remember this password" the Editor should always be able to open that document without any password prompt. Currently I am not certain that it is possible to apply this same logic to the Search command, but I will do my best to see an attempt made.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
bernard meunier
User

Hi,

Thanks.

Assuming one password or not, it seems interesting implementing asking for "possible" password when launching the search.
This way the search could open docs when not protected and try with supplied one when document report a password protection scheme.

Make sense?

BTW when using PDFtools, assuming I copy all docs from one folder to another (using supplied password), is there a way to retain or reapply OS (windows) creation date ? (may be it's better idea to ask for in relevant forum?)

Take care
Bernard
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, bernard meunier

As before, I cannot make any promises for how exactly it will work, but I will forward your requests to the team and see what we can do. For now at least, I have received confirmation that this should be possible in some capacity, so a ticket has been made on the matter for you:
#5205: FR: Bring "Password Manager" feature to Editor.

As for unlocking files in tools. Unfortunately no, it is not possible currently to unlock files in PDF-Tools without changing the creation date. That is because it leaves the original files in place and creates new copies after unlocking them.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
bernard meunier
User

Thanks
Regards
Bernard
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com