Page doesn't show all objects...

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

Page doesn't show all objects...

Post by Puffolino »

The latest release (337) "forgets" to show all elements on some pages, especially images. When using the mouse wheel to zoom out, all elements are seen (most of the time), when zoomin in again, in happens that everything can be seen again, but sometimes the display seems to show a wrong cache content or so...

Example of the same page of a document, nothing was altered but the zoom level:
grafik.png
grafik1.png
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Page doesn't show all objects...

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Puffolino,

Could you please try version 338 and see if the problem is present there as well?

If it is, please send us an example file so we can investigate the reason for this issue.

Regards.
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Hm,
maybe it got better, but I still had the problem now for the first time.

I have a complec document which is full of maps, offers, orders, invoices and such things.

A lot of pages include scans of hand drawings - and I tried to compress one of this images to keep the size of the total document small. After doing some try and error for the best result (which is not very comfortable and fast in the editor) I copied the image and pasted it into PaintShop Pro - there it was easy to adapt a n aprobiate curve for the gray levels, reduced the palette to 16 shades of gray, did just a copy and paste back to the editor (no image files was created and imported) and voilá, the image was here.

A quick check with "Recompress" in the editor (not for compressing but to check the image size) and it had a small nice size...
...after that I did some other things, saved the file and it took a while until I scrolled to this specific image page again which was totaly blank. Okay zoom out, zoom in, zoom out, out, out....
...no change this time :shock:
Thumbnail preview? Empty :oops:

Loading the (previously saved) file in the background to the PDFXChange-Viewer - everythings here, hurray :)

Back to the editor, looking at the content of the page: there's an image, it gets selected in the workspace but it's just not displayed. Trying to bring it to the top, nada. Copy and paste and it gets displayed.

I am trying hard to send an example to you, just created a page where I've duplicated 4 "suspect" pages to a new document multiple times so it did have 100 pages and after that I scrolled up and down for "hours" did some copy and paste, changed 20 instances of the "special" image using different compression methods - but of course everything worked fine.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Puffolino,

I just got confirmation from our lead developer that we are still experiencing a bug that causes part of the content to disappear.
This is not very easy to reproduce on every machine so that is why for some of us this behavior is unclear.
Perhaps this is the reason for your issue as well.

This issue will be fixed in our next build which will be released soon.

However, an example file will be appreciated, just to be sure that the problem is not caused by something else.

Regards.
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

For me it looks like a memory issue, maybe some allocated memory is not freed or so...
I tried a lot of things to create a file which would demonstrate the issue, but the bug seems to be invisible for a long time, especially when you're searching for it. Anyhow it is seen more often here in large PDF files, typically after pasting images from external graphic programs, changing the compression then and putting it back under other images.
The wrong display won't be seen immediately but later on when changing to another page and back. I'm not sure if there's something like a cache to speed up displaying a page or everytime all elements will be redrawn.

That's not a lot so far, I'll do further investigations.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Puffolino,

We just released the new version.

Could you please make a few tests with it, and see, if the problem is still present?

Regards.
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Didn't intensive testing for now, but (knock on wood)... it works stable until now. Will do further investigations.

Because of the latest rush of updates, I'd recommend to add the 32 bit exe files (PDFXEdit32.exe and PDFXTools32.exe) into the msi installer archive. These files are just few Mbytes and would allow to have a "full" installation. Most of the 32 bit components are already included in the installer...
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Puffolino,

Since our installer deploys other applications along with it, this is not possible.
It will make a mess in some cases...

However, we added Compatibility Mode which does exactly the same:

image.png

Regards.
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Oh, thanks for the information, didn't make an installation just extracted the msi because I like to use the portable mode (also on my USB memory stick)...
...and I am happy that the PDFXEditCore.x86.dll is included even in the ProV8.x64.msi as well as all 32 bit plugins for the editor (but not for the PDF Tools). So everything's here....