Embedding Fonts/Saving PDF/A

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bqxmprij
User

Embedding Fonts/Saving PDF/A

Post by bqxmprij »

Hello. I need to file pdf files in a system that requires embedding of all fonts. I separately used Editor and PDF-tools to attempt to embed fonts. I have files that were rejected as not having all fonts embedded. Can I email the files as I do not want to post them publicly?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Embedding Fonts/Saving PDF/A

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, bqxmprij

Using the File > save as function, then choosing PDF/A from the dropdown should generate an archival formatted document with all fonts embedded. Please verify that it was indeed the newly saved PDF/A document being rejected, and not the original copies before any embedding could happen.

If the issue is indeed present with PDF/A documents, please email us via support@pdf-xchange.com with a copy of both the original Document and the PDF/A document.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

Thank you. The files have been emailed. I tried the "save as" function you mentioned. I tried different pdf/A versions via Editor and PDF-tools. I tried checking and unchecking "embed sub fonts." Frankly, not sure the difference--are they not embedded if not checked? Nothing worked.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, bqxmprij

I have replied to your email, but figured that I should post here as well:
Thank you for the email, It appears that only one attachment made it through, but I believe that I see the issue already. As far as I can tell, this document, which was created with Microsoft Print to PDF, does not contain any text content, all the "text" you on each page is either a series of images or shapes. This results in no data being available for embedding, and is most likely the reason that your system is saying that the fonts are not embedded (there are no fonts for us to embed).

You will need to look to the software you are printing this from, and try either printing to another printer, such as our PDF-XChange printers. alternatively, you could check to see if that application offers a "convert to PDF" function; In many softwares this will generate a PDF document which already has the used fonts embedded.
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

Thank you for replying here. But, I am not sure I understand. Both pdfs have fonts according to Editor.

The original file shows multiple fonts.

The file after converting to pdf/A with PDFTools shows one font.

This document with one font was rejected as not embedded.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, bqxmprij

What I mean is that the PDF/A file (the only one which I received) did not have any text content throughout the document (after posting this, I did find that there is a single text item hiding on page 1, which contains that "Ryumin" font though it does not seem to have any characters present in it.

To help explain I will need to delve into how Base content works in PDF. Base content is divided into multiepl "types" of content, the most common being Text objects, Image objects, and Shape objects.
- Text objects contain the text itself, along with font information and other relevant data.
- Image objects contain a single image, if present a mark type, and other details such as resolution.
- Shapes are more arbitrary, and can be used for numerous purposes, many applications convert text into shapes when printing as they are often easier for printers to handle, but can also be the lines in a table, many technical drawings consist almost entirely of shapes.

This document, with the exception of a single tiny invisible text item with no actual content on page 1, consists entirely of image and Shape objects, all of the text that you see on the pages is not actual text content, and cannot be edited with text editing tools, it is simply shapes, and as far as any application is aware there is no difference between that text and a series of triangles and squares.

As such, when saving as PDF/A the Editor realises that nothing is using those other fonts, and they are removed, the only font remaining, while present in the document, is also not actually used by anything. Since there is no text content using fonts, it is most likely resulting in errors in your other application.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

I emailed the original and converted document again--pretty sure it worked this time. As you can see, the original document has a lot of (non-image) text. Editor and PDF-tools removed the text and made it images.

I unfortunately gave up on Tracker products and printed the pdf again to pdf with a third party pdf printer. Below is the properties window showing the original fonts as now embedded.

Why does running the original file through pdf-tools convert to pdf/A or using the "save as" function to save as pdf/A not result in the fonts being embedded?

Or, for the one remaining font, why is it not embedded?

I realize this does not respond to the explanation of how content works. Regardless of how base content works, I need all fonts embedded. I thought I picked the two ways of doing that--embedding all fonts--in Tracker products.

Is there a way to process the original file and embed all fonts?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, bqxmprij

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, I have been very busy these past few days and only just noticed I failed to followup here.
I have created a ticket for this issue, and while I cannot make any promises that there will be changes any time soon, I have included your sample documents to show the Dev team what you mean. For reference the ticket number is as follows:

RT#5187: Saving this document as PDF/A does not embed fonts

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com