Deleting a single word

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

AlbrechtMehl
User

Deleting a single word

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

On the page https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe8/ one reads in tabs guide > organize tab > crop how to do that. BUT:
1. I click Dokumentaufbau (organize) > zuschneiden (crop) > Seite zuschneiden (crop page) > Zuschnittsrechtecks (crop rectangle)
The mouse pointer becomes a cross hair icon
2. A rectangle is drawn around the word in question and the mouse button released.
A window for stating what should happen next appears
3. In this window I find among other features 'Inhalte außerhalb der Crop-Box entfernen' (delete content outside the box).
Instead a '...delete within the crop-Box is needed as stated in the manual: Click Remove Cropped Content to
remove cropped content from documents. This item I cannot find. So please describe in detail what has
to be done.

Regards,

A. Mehl
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Deleting a single word

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, AlbrechtMehl

Cropping in the Editor is specifically the act of changing displayed content (or removing it) from the edges of the page, as such we do not offer a "delete within crop box" feature. The Best alternative to accomplish what you are looking for would be the "redaction" tool, which is detailed in this article: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... -Redaction

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Hi Daniel,

thank you very much for your post. The word I would like to delete is marked and black. BUT within the article you have given the link of I see

---------------------------------
Format Redaction options

Once the redaction tools are active, a contextual Format tab will appear as shown below:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no mention of how to delete the words marked black. As this is what I want further help would be welcome.

Regards,

Albrecht
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Hi Daniel,

I would like to add to my post. You wrote

--------------------------------------
Cropping in the Editor is specifically the act of changing displayed content (or removing it) from the edges of the page, as such we do not offer a "delete within crop box" feature
----------------------------------------------------------------------

But in
Navigation:Product Manuals»PDF-XChange Editor V8»Tabs Guide»Organize Tab»Crop

one reads

------------------------------------------
Click Remove Cropped Content to remove cropped content from documents
-----------------------------------------------------
So it is possible to remove cropped content. The only bad thing about it is that I cannot find the button
'remove cropped content'. Please let me know where to find it.

Regards,

Albrecht
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, AlbrechtMehl

When applying redaction all content below the selected areas is completely removed from the document. As such, the text you placed it over already no longer exists in the file. If you would like to change the color of the redaction tool (or make it transparent) you can do so from the Format tab when you select the tool:
PDFXEdit_mE9FqQe7Ys.png
As for cropping, that function only removes content OUTSIDE the cropping area, not the content within it. To remove cropped content, simply check the "remove cropped content" checkbox for your desired content type in the Crop pages dialog:
PDFXEdit_AKXHtGqg58.png
You will notice that we now offer 3 separate checkboxes which have been added recently and has not yet been added to the manual. I hope my screenshot helps.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Dear Daniel,

thank your for your post. BUT apparently I am not clever enought to understand. You wrote about cropping:

---------------------
To remove cropped content, simply check the "remove cropped content" checkbox for your desired content type in the Crop pages dialog
-----------------------
BUT the screen shot you kindly have provided shows not that, but 'Remove the content outside of the crop box area'.

I would like to add that I did manage to delete using croping ... helas I unfortunately have forgotten how I did it. So it is
possible. Please ask your colleagues: if I could do it once they should know the trick.

Regards,

Albrecht
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Dear Daniel,
seite5originaltex.pdf
(62.24 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
seite5originaltex.pdf
2020-04-03 anonymKontoauszugGLSMärz639227461.pdf
(312.95 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
to prove my statement that I was able to delete a word using croping I enclose two files. The first one shows the original situation. The second shows that in the upper left corner the addressee 'Anne Mehl' has been removed. So it is possible.And if a layman like me can do it - helas but once - someone in your team should do it, too.

Regards,

Albrecht
2020-04-03 anonymKontoauszugGLSMärz639227461.pdf
(312.95 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
seite5originaltex.pdf
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi, AlbrechtMehl

From the screenshot that you sent here. It doesn't appear you are using our Software, in which case I cannot say wether or not this is possible in that other application, but as I said before:
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:47 pm As for cropping, that function only removes content OUTSIDE the cropping area, not the content within it.
Our Crop tool does not currently, and has not in the past offered a function to remove content within the Selection area. To my knowledge this is how Crop tools work across the board, even outside of PDF. The only way to specify an area for complete removal from the document is to use our "Redaction" tool.
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:26 pm The Best alternative to accomplish what you are looking for would be the "redaction" tool, which is detailed in this article: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... -Redaction
Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Hi, Daniel,

in the meantime the problem has been solved using another program. The image manipulation program GIMP which is also available for windows allows to get rid of parts of a document: 1. mark this partion 2. fill with background color ... that's it. I would like to stress that this is freeware which can do it, while yours cannot, but has to be payed for. Please let us know whether you think about including this feature in the next update.

Regards,

Albrecht
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

I'm sorry, but you are wrong - it seems that you choosed wrong tool for you task, it's your problem, not PDFXeditor ......
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 10.1.1 (Build 381) / W7 SP1 x64
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Ovg, Albrecht,

Indeed - there is a tool in our products that can do what you are after Albrecht, and Daniel has pointed you to it. You might be used to a different name in different software, but in ours it is called the Redaction tool.

Kind regards,
Stefan
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

Hi, Stefan,

thank you for your comment.
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:20 pm Hello Ovg, Albrecht,

tool in our products that can do what you are after Albrecht
BUT ... there is a small, but important difference: as you can see in the redaction manual the very last version of the document shows the words in question blackened, while I would like to have there the background colour as I have pointed out. So there is still a bit of work to be done by your development team. Please let me know whether the next update will show this improvement.

Regards,

Albrecht
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

AlbrechtMehl wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:13 pm BUT ... there is a small, but important difference: as you can see in the redaction manual the very last version of the document shows the words in question blackened, while I would like to have there the background colour as I have pointed out. So there is still a bit of work to be done by your development team. Please let me know whether the next update will show this improvement.

Regards,

Albrecht
Sorry, but once more: You try use wrong tools: https://yadi.sk/i/aLGR-2DXyfdBKA
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Ovg,

I believe AlbrechtMehl's concern is the default colour of the Redaction tool once it has been applied is black.
But this colour can be changed - and the result will then look as in the attached file.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Attachments
Page 1 from 0211159.pdf
(62.74 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

Ok. But wouldn't be simpler to delete in this case?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Ovg,

Depending on the content that is to remain on the page - and if the rest of the words need to remain in their original relative places - using the redaction tool in some cases might be the 'easier' option :)

Kind regards,
Stefan
Ovg
User

Post by Ovg »

I see now, thanks :D
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Deleting a single word

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com
AlbrechtMehl
User

Post by AlbrechtMehl »

I would like to thank all people contributing to this discussion now that all questions seem to be answered.

Albrecht
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello AlbrechtMehl,

Glad to hear that we have managed to help you with finding out the correct tools to use in our products and their names!

Kind regards,
Stefan