PDF content disappear after a period of time not been used  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ndtdanh
User

PDF content disappear after a period of time not been used

Post by ndtdanh »

Hello,

I have been encountered a problem with PDF-Exchange Editor recently. If I open a PDF file and let it unread for a long enough period of time (~ 30 mins), it would lose almost the content (mostly the text and shapes). This issue is fixed everytime I reopen the file. I attached 2 images for comparison. Does anybody know the solution for this bug ? I am using version 8.0 Build 336.0. Many thank and wish you a good day.
Before.png
Regards,
Danh,ndt
Attachments
After.png
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: PDF content disappear after a period of time not been used

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello ndtdanh,

Welcome to our forum.

Is it possible for us to have a copy of your file so we can test it at our end?

If the file contains any information that you do not want to be displayed in public, please send it to: support@pdf-xchange.com

Regards.
ndtdanh
User

Post by ndtdanh »

Dimitar - Tracker Supp wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:19 am Hello ndtdanh,

Welcome to our forum.

Is it possible for us to have a copy of your file so we can test it at our end?

If the file contains any information that you do not want to be displayed in public, please send it to: support@pdf-xchange.com

Regards.
This issue happen every day, with every PDF files that I open. So I think no need to send you my file.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello ndtdanh,

Since we are not able to reproduce the problem at our end with any of our files, we need it, so we can investigate the reason for this issue.

Also, such a problem has not been reported until now, so we definitely need an example file so we can be sure that the problem doesn't come from the file.

Regards.
ndtdanh
User

Post by ndtdanh »

Dimitar - Tracker Supp wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:30 am Hello ndtdanh,

Since we are not able to reproduce the problem at our end with any of our files, we need it, so we can investigate the reason for this issue.

Also, such a problem has not been reported until now, so we definitely need an example file so we can be sure that the problem doesn't come from the file.

Regards.
Hello,

I've just sent an email to you. Or you can check the attachments here. They are the same. I used featured "word count" to check the difference and you can check the images attached
Attachments
word count _Issue.PNG
word count _Issue.PNG (46.96 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
word count _Original.PNG
word count _Original.PNG (48.7 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello ndtdanh,

Thank you. I got the file.

I will now try to reproduce your situation and get back to with the results.

Regards.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Just for information and request for a test ...

This problem was also reported in the following topic, but no solution yet:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=31083

Question for ndtdanh (just for a test):
Please verify via File (or Edit) > Preferences > Page Display > Rendering (button) > Smooth text:
> In case "ClearType (for Laptop/LCD screens) is ON, then change it to "None" and click OK, Apply and OK

Does this make any difference (after +/- 30 minutes)?

Best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, all

Willy, do note that the original issue in that topic was resolved in this post: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=31083#p125344
The cause of the issue was most likely using an installer which was downloaded from at third party website.

ndtdanh, As we still cannot reproduce this locally, please try uninstalling the software and then running the latest installer directly from our official downloads page here: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/product/downloads
After that version is installed, please test the issue once more and confirm if it is resolved.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Thanks Daniel for your reply, but I do not agree completely.

aestra_tech replied that the portable version did not seem to have the problem, but later never confirmed this for the installable version. The last sentence was: "I will proceed with those reinstall steps outlined above when I get enough time."

Myself, in all the time that I have been working with PDF-XChange Editor, I have seen this phenomenon only one single time.

Best regards.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hello ndtdanh,

When you see the issue next time please make a memory dump of the Editor process. Please look here on how to do this.
Then zip the resulting .dmp file and upload it to the Tracker Software File service.
ndtdanh
User

Post by ndtdanh »

Hello,

I have good news for you. Thank Daniel for your idea. I followed the post you gave me above and I think it worked, at least until now. (sorry but I tried to find similar post in forum but somehow I didnt see this post, so I created this new post). This's what I did:
- Uninstall all Tracker's applications
- Delete relevent registries
- Delete Tracker's folder at C:\Program Files\Tracker Software
- Restart and reinstall Tracker install pack downloaded from Tracker's website.
- Done.

However, there is another little issue happened after I'd reinstalled the sofware. When I use the mouse to pan the file up and down, some time it happen to be lagging, not as smooth as before uninstalled. I tried to change some configuration such as: Performance, Page display/Rendering, but nothing changed. So please advise me.

Update: this issue come back again. so boring :((

Thank you.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello ndtdanh,
this issue come back again. so boring
Please see my post above with the instructions.
ndtdanh
User

Post by ndtdanh »

Roman - Tracker Supp wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:31 pm Hello ndtdanh,
this issue come back again. so boring
Please see my post above with the instructions.
Hi Roman,
I have uploaded the dump file that you requested. I also attach a video below to demonstrate the nature of my problem so that you can understand better. Thank you.
Capture.PNG
Video_2020-04-04_212902_Trim.zip
(3.44 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

If I understand it correctly, the problem is only there at specific zoom levels (100%, 150%, ...) ?

It would be interesting to know, if you see a difference in the Word count while the result is correct, and when it is bad.

Myself, with PDF-XChange Editor V8.336.0, I have not been able to reproduce the problem with your test-PDF.

Let's hope Tracker Software Developers can find a reason.

Regards.
ndtdanh
User

Post by ndtdanh »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:22 am If I understand it correctly, the problem is only there at specific zoom levels (100%, 150%, ...) ?

It would be interesting to know, if you see a difference in the Word count while the result is correct, and when it is bad.

Myself, with PDF-XChange Editor V8.336.0, I have not been able to reproduce the problem with your test-PDF.

Let's hope Tracker Software Developers can find a reason.

Regards.
Hi Willy,
Glad to see your feedback. The video above just shows one of the matters this error may cause. Here are all the cases that I am facing with:
- Contents disappear and never come back until I reopen the file (almost the cases)
- Sometimes contents go and come back when I change zoom level (as you saw in my previous post)
- Sometimes the fonts and positions of the text are not as correct as the original.

These bugs come when the file is left unused for some time.

I've made an video to record this problem but I cant upload here because of the big size of the video. So I've uploaded to Youtube. Here is the link if you are interested in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX6JWob9R0w
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hello,

Myself, I have the impression that it is probably a rendering problem.

1) Can you please post a print screen of your settings in Edit > Preferences > Page Display.
In the Page Display-dialog-box, click the "Rendering" button and also make a print screen of the settings here.

2) In case you can reproduce the problem with different results (good or bad) when changing the zoom level, it would still be interesting to know:
a) if you see a difference in the Word Count.
b) when the text becomes invisible: does it become transparent or is it really missing. You could check this by activating the "Edit" mode and verify if you can still select the missing text, or does it really disappears like it has been deleted ?

Best regards.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: PDF content disappear after a period of time not been used  SOLVED

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Myself, I have the impression that it is probably a rendering problem.
No, it is not a rendering issue.

Unfortunately, the installed application was altered (possible reasons are: hardware issue, malware, or you are a victim of software piracy) and we cannot guarantee its correct behavior.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
bynkook
User

Post by bynkook »

Compared to r322 - which has no issue, yesterday i reproduced same issue with r341. I was presenting 60+ pages of drawings of high complexity, switching between applications like Google Earth, Excel, Edge Browser.

Issues was part of figures and texts are disappeared and never came with zooming in and out. :x

Since I've been seeing this issue with every updates after r322, and I can assure that It was never fixed.

Rendering error? Poor memory handling?

I don't know.
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello bynkook,

When you see the issue next time please make a memory dump of the Editor process. Please look here on how to do this.
Then zip the resulting .dmp file and upload it to the Tracker Software File service.