Way to stop typewriter from resizing  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

B1nk
User

Way to stop typewriter from resizing

Post by B1nk »

I am using PDF exchange editor, and I tend to annotate things using the typewriter tool, as it is fast and easy to resize compared to the textbox tool. However there is an issue I am experiencing with the typewriter tool. Once I finished the comment and set a size for the typewriter tool, that's all good. However, whenever I want to go in and say, change the colour of the text, the whole typewriter tool resizes itself and it's quite fustrating!
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Way to stop typewriter from resizing

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello B1nk,

Thank you for your report.

Could you please tell us what version is your PDF Editor?

You can see that under the Main menu -> Help -> About.

Also, if it is possible could you please send us an example file with which you are experiencing this issue?

Regards.
TimMayle
User

Post by TimMayle »

Hello,
I'm facing the same situation.
Using PDF-XChange Editor, v8.0 build 336, unlicensed.
See attached gif for how it goes.

I also tried to lock the form, but then the text resizes very strangely.
PDF-XChange-Editor-unwanted resize with TypeWritter.gif
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello TimMayle,

Can we please have a copy of one such sample file?
If the one from which you made the gif has sensitive information - can you please create another file just to illustrate the issue and share it with us?

Kind regards,
Stefan
TimMayle
User

Post by TimMayle »

Sure,
Here's a file with a typewritter box on first page
PDF - XChange - Issue with Typewriter.pdf
(128.98 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello TimMayle,

The 'issue' is that the text inside the box is on a single line.
So when you forced the typewriter object to be narrower - the text did auto wrap, but when you then try to make further Editors to it - it does expand again.
E.g. you can see here that there are just two lines of text in the comments pane but three are visible on the page:
textbox.png
I would recommend you to use the text area tool instead - there the box specified by yourself will stay as wide as you made it, and will not auto expand when you try to make changes to it.
The "Typewriter" object is almost deliberately designed to be so 'dumb' - so that you need to force a new line in it, pretty much as on an actual physical typewriter machine, and to control the 'width' of the text by controlling how wide the text itself is rather than resizing it's box later.

Kind regards,
Stefan
B1nk
User

Post by B1nk »

The textbox tool is a great alternative, however, the reason why I use the typewriter tool is that when I type, the box expands with the words, really good tool for annotation. However, with the textbox tool, it is fixed no matter how much you type.

Is there a tool that can integrate both the typewriter's ability to expand as you type and the textbox tool's ability to stay fixed, even after being formatted?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Way to stop typewriter from resizing  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, B1nk

The textbox tool offers that already, just not in an automated way like the typewriter does. Frankly, attempting to automate a midway point between these methods of handling would be "difficult" to say the least.

Once you have finished typing in the textbox, do not exit text editing mode, and then resize the box to your desired size, the text wrapping will change slightly as the size of its container is changed. If you do exit the text box you will find that resizing the text box scales the text content within it instead. Simply entering the text box again to begin text editing allows you to resize only the box again.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Bghkeymom
User

Post by Bghkeymom »

I am having a similar issue today with the Typerwriter Tool. I used to be able to type and then change the alignment and the text would stay where I placed it. Today I did that and the text center on the page from where I entered it way over the to right edge of the page.

I have used this tool so many times in the same manner and have not had any issue. Resizing the text box is too cumbersome so I really like the Typewriter tool.
PDF Typewriter Issue.pdf
(156.6 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, Bghkeymom

The typewriter has for quite a while now resized to the edge of the page when right alignment is enabled. If you have used this function in the past, it was most likely with the "textbox" tool, which is near the typewriter tool. Please try using that tool instead and you should find that this works as desired.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com