Some Requests  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

lindermman
User

Some Requests

Post by lindermman »

I use PDF-XChange Editor plus to study and often need to insert pages along the file that I´´ m using. Both blank pages and pages from other files option.
My requests are simple:

1. could you include the "current page" option in the insert window request as the destination of the new page(s)?
You may not need to enter a new "current page" option. You could capture the current page number and use it in the "page" field as shown in the figure below
image2.png

2. After last update, the value of the font sizes does not change when I reduce or increase them:
image3.png
This happens in any font option: typewritter, text box, insert text, etc. :roll:

3. Often, when I open the "resize the page" option, the values of the page size fields do not match the size of the current page, as in the figure below:
image.png
Please, give a little help here.

Thx! ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Some Requests

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, lindermman

I will see about having a "current page" option to select but for the time being this can be achieved by right clicking on the thumbnails (Ctrl_T) of the page desired, and choosing Insert pages from there, or by selecting the desired thumbnail before using the Ctrl_Shift_I insert pages key combination. this will autofill the "page" field with the current page.

Regarding the second point, this seems to be working correctly on my machine, are you certain that you are running the latest build of the softeware? (8.0.336.0) If not, please update and try again.
I9xb8SnfiB.gif
As for the third, I have reproduced this, these fields accurately reflect the size of the page currently selected. Do you have multiple differently sized pages in your document? If so, is one of the larger ones (that reflects that size) selected (usually in the thumbnails dialog) when you open this dialog?

Kind regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

Hi, Daniel!
Very thanks for your reply and please ... sorry for my poor english. :oops: :oops:
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:39 pm Regarding the second point, this seems to be working correctly on my machine, are you certain that you are running the latest build of the softeware? (8.0.336.0) If not, please update and try again.
I just ask it because this problem only started after last update. I´ m using last version: 8.0 Build 336.0.
I tried it on 2 different notebooks and the result was the same. :(
TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:39 pm As for the third, I have reproduced this, these fields accurately reflect the size of the page currently selected. Do you have multiple differently sized pages in your document? If so, is one of the larger ones (that reflects that size) selected (usually in the thumbnails dialog) when you open this dialog?
Yes. I constantly need to cut a few pages and enlarge them a few inches. This results in pages with different sizes in the same document. However, I do this from the beginning and this problem only started now, after last update (336.0). Until the version I used earlier, everything worked fine. See below for an example. Using a new document where all the pages are the same size. I just cut a page and tried to resize it. Here is the result:
image.png
Before the update, the system correctly captured the page size (in this case, 215.9 x 156.7 mm) and made it easier to resize it. Note that the program now uses a random value: 215.9 x 279.4 mm) different from the actual page size, regardless of whether or not I have pages with different sizes in the same document.

I forgot to tell you about another problem as well. Whenever I split / cut a page and enlarge it again, the content reappears. Look:
image1.png
Note that the program repeats the content of the bottom page after resizing the top page by a few centimeters at the bottom. The same is true if I resize the bottom page a few inches at the top. This is yet another problem that has been happening since the update.

Please, give me a little help. These problems are taking me a fair amount of time.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Some Requests  SOLVED

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, lindermman

Thank you for the added details and screenshots.

Regarding the second item form your original post, my apologies for the blunder there, I happened to be running one of our test builds at the time, which is why I could not reproduce this. As a bonus however, that does mean that I can confirm this is already fixed and will be working properly in the next release (337.0).

For the Third point, I cannot reproduce the "random size" issue you are describing with a new blank document. From what I can see, it only ever uses the size of the selected page if a page is selected in the Thumbnail pane, or the First page if anything other than a page in the thumbnails pane has been selected, which means that this is working as intended.
Can you please open the "properties" (Ctrl+~) and "Thumbnails" (Ctrl+T) panes, then select each page in the thumbnails pane and verify that none of them show the width and height in the properties pane, which is being used by default in the dialog?
If none do match this value, it may have to do with your page cropping methods, as the "full page size" is taken for this dialog, not the "displayed page size". See below for details on that aspect of the problem.

Regarding Split/cut pages, this is intended, we do not by default duplicate only the visible content, as this would cause problems for a number of content items that may be intersected by the split operation. As such, the entire page content is left on both pages in these situations. If you wish to remove this content you can uncheck the "preserve original content" checkbox, which should then only duplicate items which are intersected by your split operation. Alternatively, to perform this to documents which you have already split, you can open the Crop dialog, and choose "crop method: none" then enable the "remove" options and the "adjust page size" option to fix those split pages.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

God ble-e-e-e-e-essssss you, man!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

I was even ashamed to ask something so simple to solve. :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Disabling the "Preserve original content" option and switching to "Changing the resulting pages physical size" solved my two problems:
a) content being repeated
b) random size when resizing.
These were my two biggest problems! Thank you very much !!!

As for the thumbnail panel, in my opinion, those who work with constant document editing are not used to using it for various reasons, mainly because of the space it occupies in relation to the size of the screen. You need to think of someone using a notebook, with limited space and needing to do this editing constantly. This is just my opinion as a constant user for this type of edition. I use the editor to study and I often need to split and resize pages to include and exclude content. So don't rely on situations using just the panel. At least I, use keyboard shortcuts directly.

But thank you very much, man! You managed to solve all my biggest problems !!!
I will be waiting for the next update to resolve the issue with the fonts.

Thanks!!!
lindermman
User

Post by lindermman »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:39 pm Hi, lindermman

I will see about having a "current page" option to select but for the time being this can be achieved by right clicking on the thumbnails (Ctrl_T) of the page desired, and choosing Insert pages from there, or by selecting the desired thumbnail before using the Ctrl_Shift_I insert pages key combination. this will autofill the "page" field with the current page.
Kind regards,
Sorry ... just another word ...
It´ s not necessary to create another option/field with "current page" on that dialog. Just use the number of current page as default on that page number field.
People already have to type the page number when select that option. If, in this case, the number is already that of the current page, it would save a job.
Just an idea. :wink: :wink: :wink: :D :D :D

Thank you very much for your help!!!
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi all,

for completeness, there is a discussion regarding the "Insert Empty Pages By Current Location" issue here.

It also seems that there are 2 tickets covering this already: RT-3698 and RT-3694, which don't seem to be completely resolved yet.

Cheers and Hth,

David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro