Error [PXVLib]: Cannot start Microsoft Office Application  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

David.P
User

Error [PXVLib]: Cannot start Microsoft Office Application

Post by David.P »

Hi forum & Tracker support,

recently I've started to get the above error when dragging PowerPoint files into PDF-XChange Editor, in order to convert them to / open them as PDF files:

image.png
Microsoft PowerPoint Error Code: 0x80080005

This happens only on one PC while on another PC, the PPT/PPTX files are converted to PDF instantly this way.

I'm only wondering now if that rather is an error on the side of PDF-XChange Editor or on the side of Microsoft PowerPoint, i.e. which of the two programs I'd rather should attempt to repair/reinstall?

Thank you
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Error [PXVLib]: Cannot start Microsoft Office Application  SOLVED

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello David.P,

You should start with trying a repair/reinstall of MS Office (or PowerPoint only) at first.

Kind regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Re: Error [PXVLib]: Cannot start Microsoft Office Application

Post by David.P »

Thank you Stefan,

I thought so, however was somewhat reluctant because MS Office is so deeply interwoven with the OS that I always rather don't touch it in order not to break anything.

So I suppose the present case is not just a matter of telling PDF-XChange Editor about some DLL file or something like this?
--
Edit: I did a Quick Repair (of Office 2019, that is), and it sure enough fixed the issue in like two minutes -- seemingly without breaking anything, particularly not older versions of Office which I also have installed (as my true work horses).

1552470963_image20.png
1552470963_image20.png (7.45 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Unfortunately, the PXVLib-conversion from PPT to PDF broke down another time just now.

This happened after starting Visio 2003, which triggered an automatic repair of Office 2003, which in turn probably broke the PXVLib functionality.

It would be great to know more about how the PXVLib functionality in PDF-XChange Editor works (i.e. on what files and registry entries it relies, for example) in order to maybe fix it manually.

JFTR, I believe that the problem is related to the well known "NoReReg" workaround that includes doing something like this:

reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

[make sure to google this before trying it]

...which however does not seem to work with Visio 2003 :|
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello David.P,

This would seem like an issue with the various versions of office you have.
When you launch that older Visio - it most likely reregisters some DLLs that are needed for our own conversion. As this happens between versions of office - and in a place that I've not had to deal with - I am afraid that I won't be able to be of much help here, other than recommending using a newer version of Visio if available?

Kind regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Stefan,

you are right, this is clearly a problem of compatibility of several Office versions installed side by side.

Maybe in the future, someone finds the thread via Google search and has a suggestion.

If I should find a solution, I'll let the forum know here.

Best Regards
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello David.P,

I hope you do find a solution and we will most certainly be happy for you to post it here!

Kind regards,
Stefan