Slow rendering of isometric views from Revit

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

MJN
User

Slow rendering of isometric views from Revit

Post by MJN »

Hello,

A lot of construction drawings nowadays feature added 3D-isometrics from Revit.

This is really neat, but it does slow the Editor down significantly when zooming in or out.

Is there any way to remedy this?

//MJN
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Slow rendering of isometric views from Revit

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi, MJN

Can we please have a sample of one such PDF file?
Also - is this file generated by Revit itself or by some 'printing driver' like our own? Are there any options in Revit to simplify the exported data or at least e.g. not to break down complex shapes into say triangles but rather export them as 'single' shapes instead?

Kind regards,
Stefan
MJN
User

Post by MJN »

Hello Stefan,

We receive the tenders when they're (mostly) done, but I would hazard a guess and say that the drawings are created from Revit.

Even if Revit has an option to simplify a pdf-eksport, it wouldn't really to me any good -I work for a precast concrete contractor and we receive tenders from dozens upon dozens of architecture firms and have no say in how they work...

I should like to send a sample, but even a single pdf exceeds the 5mb limit.... :?

Actually working on one floorplan is not that bad, but we tend to compile all floorplan into one big pdf to facilitate quantity take-offs and in this instance it clocks in at a whooping 61mb -could that cause the Editor some problems?!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi MJN,

Is it possible to upload it to e.g. DropBox or Google Drive and share a link here? If you don't want the file being publicly available, you can send the download link to support@pdf-xchange.com directly.

I'm afraid that we will need some kind of a sample to investigate the issue.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
MJN
User

Post by MJN »

Hello Will,

I've sent a download-link, looking forward to hear what you make of it :)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi MJN,

Thanks for that - I've had to request access, so as soon as that's been granted we'll take a look here.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi MJN,

I've looked at the file here and the times appear within what I'd expect of a file with so many small elements. If you take a look at the Content Pane, you'll see that each page is made up of thousands of small objects:
Isometric.gif
I have a laptop with 32GB of DDR4 2400 MHz RAM, an intel i7 hexacore processor @4.6GHz and a 1TB SSD (a pretty powerful machine) and it's still a little slow, but zooming in or out of the document is approx 1.7x faster in the Editor than in Adobe - this is really just the nature of a file such as yours; lots of tiny objects take much longer to render than a few large ones.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
MJN
User

Post by MJN »

Hello Will,

Thank you for the update it makes sense (and you can thank me for giving you an opportunity to tell us all about your spiffy rig :D ).

I tried printing the pdf to a new pdf and that does seem to collapse a lot of the content and make it all a tiny bit faster...
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Not a problem :D
I tried printing the pdf to a new pdf and that does seem to collapse a lot of the content and make it all a tiny bit faster...
This would be because many of the objects are merged into one. You can also try using the 'Print as Images' option in the Editor's print dialog to rasterize the entire page.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
MJN
User

Post by MJN »

Ah!
Thanks for the tip :)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)