Printing issue on Canon printer

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Paul - Tracker Supp, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software

Post Reply
kai_jh
User
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Printing issue on Canon printer

Post by kai_jh » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:31 pm

I continuously have problems printing on the office printer of type Canon-iR-ADV C7260/7270 PCL6 with PDFXChangeEditor. I am on the newest version of PDFXChangeEditor Plus (8.0 build 336.0), the problem is present since months though. The workaround for me is easy: Open the PDF in Chrome and print to the same printer from there - no problems at all.
The problem occurs with around 50% of the PDFs that I want to physically print and it only occurs on that printer model. In ~90% of the cases the problem is expressed in different areas not being printed, the remaining ~10% show low/high ASCII characters (mostly the box character) instead of the supposed text.
I do not easily have access to the printer itself to check on versions there, but it is managed from Canon and I would assume it has the newest updates installed. Anyways, as I said, Chrome prints these PDFs without any issue, so I neither expecting the root cause withing the printer driver or firmware of the printer itself.
If there is additional data you need from me to track this problem, I can help resolving it.
Thanks
Kai

Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin
Posts: 3620
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:36 pm
Location: Vancouver Island - Canada
Contact:

Re: Printing issue on Canon printer

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Can you please provide us with a sample document where the problem is reproducible and scan of a printed page would be helpful.
If you know the driver version, that would be helpful as well.
Having that we will try to solve the problem asap.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.

kai_jh
User
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Re: Printing issue on Canon printer

Post by kai_jh » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:20 pm

Sure, please find the example attached. When I navigate to the printer properties, tab Device Settings, About, the Canon PCL6 Printer Driver shows version 21.65
Regards
Kai
TestPageAndScan.7z
(160.59 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

Willy Van Nuffel
User
Posts: 1433
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: Printing issue on Canon printer

Post by Willy Van Nuffel » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:30 am

Possible work-arounds for PDF-XChange Editor:

1. File > Print, mark the check-box "Print as image".

2. File > Print, click the More... button, and change the "Text Rendering Mode" to one of the other options.

Best regards.

kai_jh
User
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Re: Printing issue on Canon printer

Post by kai_jh » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:34 pm

Hello Willy.
I did test print as image previously - that always works but on this printer the quality of the printed text is so reduced that it is not practicable to me - I get a headache if I have to read more than 1 page of that :-).
The text rendering was new to me, I tried "Outline for Embedded Fonts" and it worked for the test PDF I uploaded! I will continue to evaluate this option on other printouts over the next days, could be an easy workaround with roughly the same amount of clicks compared to opening the PDFs in Chrome and printing from there.
Thanks
Kai

User avatar
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin
Posts: 14037
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:07 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Printing issue on Canon printer

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi, kai_jh

Thanks for the feedback so far! Please do let us know how it goes with the text rendering options over the next few days!

Kind regards,
Stefan

Post Reply