Typewriter Tool - Default Width

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

brody-xr3
User

Typewriter Tool - Default Width

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi,

Seems like the Typewriter comment area opens and expands unlimitedly to the right until one stops typing and then resizes it.

Is there any variable that I can set so that there is a default width that the Typewriter text area could open at and stay at through the creation of the comment?

That way, if I have a default area of x width set in the margins for typewriter comments I won't have to keep resizing the Typerwriter comment once I'm done typing it.

Many thanks,

BXR
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Typewriter Tool - Default Width

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Brody,

The typewriter tool is designed to act a bit as a physical typewriter. Until you don't manually go to the next line - it will continue typing on the one you are currently at.
What you describe as a feature is the Text Area tool. You can make it borderless - and it will stay with the width you define for it when you first start drawing the tool on the page.

Regards,
Stefan
brody-xr3
User

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi Stefan,

Ah! Yet ANOTHER wee gem inside. Seems to offer me an option. Thanks for letting me know. Will give it a shot.

BXR
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
brody-xr3
User

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi Will,

Selecting the Text Box Tool - if I click and drag it each time I can control the starting width, and the comments arrange themselves according to whatever width I dragged it to be. Perfect! :D That's what I needed.

After selecting the Text Box tool I notice that if I click - not click & drag, just click - the box opens itself at a predefined width.

Is there any way for me to define how wide that will be? So that, each time I click, it will open to the same fixed width?

Will help to reduce the distraction, as now all the comment boxes going down this VERY LONG document have slightly different widths, which i feel will distract subsequent readers - and even me as I have to re-skim the document. Would be easier if each comment box was the same width.

Sincerely,

BXR
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, brody-xr3

Yes, you can customize and set a "default style" for the comment, including the physical size of the text box by selecting an existing annotation and use the "set as default style" function on the Format tab. Now future uses of the comment will retain that same size, color scheme, and other format functions. The same can be done with the text inside as well, by clicking a level deeper and highlighting the desired text before pressing this button.
This article provides more detail: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... nge-Editor

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
brody-xr3
User

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi,

Ah! Yes. Should have written that I tried that already! :D

Saw that article.

But, I went at it from the element itself rather than the Format Tab:
https://ibb.co/t4HRqk0

So, I've got my sized-to-fit text box. Selected it. Clicked

"Make Current Properties Default"

But...nothing changed.

Just tried again after using Format Tab. And, width still is ignored. Uses system default width if initiated by click.

What do you think is happening?

Sincerely

BXR
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

HI BXR,

We're checking here and one of us will post back when we know more.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
brody-xr3
User

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi,

Any news? :)

BXR
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, brody-xr3

My apologies for the incorrect information here, Size is only retained for Form fields, not normal comments, and unfortunately there is no way to have that information retained. Currently, the best workaround here is to place your comments as normal, then afterwards select the first one and Ctrl+Click the remainder. Once all comments are selected, on the "arrange" tab use the "same width" function.

At the moment, there is a bug in this function which means you will need to click a few times (about 3-4) to have the sizes match properly. The dev team is aware of this and is working on a resolution currently.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com