Replace Word as My Default App

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

brody-xr3
User

Replace Word as My Default App

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi,

Mostly I'm READING documents, and then having to extract various levels of details from them for summary. And, hopefully, creating something that takes an idea I'm reading about and goes beyond that research I'm reading.

I've bought PDF X-Change editor for it's SUPERIOR usability and summarization features.

And, customer responsiveness.

And, design! The UI functionality are kinda something to behold.

About Summarizing Content, too - I like the way your team is able to respond to feedback. I'm REALLY interested in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=22846&p=122778

To which, hopefully soon, I'll have something substantive to contribute.

All this is by way of bringing me to my question today - can the PDF X-Change Editor that I've now got be used a document CREATION application?

I mean - can I stop using word and make PDF X-Change Editor my default document creation app? Or, is it still primarily designed as a READING & EDITING device.

Sincerely,

BXR
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Replace Word as My Default App

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi BXR,

of course it is up to you, with a license you can indeed create new documents from scratch in the Editor, but the question deserves a slightly deeper look into the PDF format itself and what it was designed to do, not to mention what it was not ever intended for.

PDF documents do not "flow", they are not linear, they are not relational and were never intended as a word processing format. By this I mean that everything in a PDF is coordinate based where as word processing is linear and relational in that content has a relation to other content and flows linearly. When you add a word between two others in a word processor that is exactly what you are doing, putting this object after one and before another. This facilitates the flow of the document and the resulting location on the page. In a PDF it knows nothing of the surrounding content. Adding a word "between" two others doesn't really mean anything in a PDF. The new work is an object so to speak, with coordinates and the other content's coordinates are not influenced by it.

The very fact that the Editor can somewhat resemble editing in a word processor is testimony to the hard work done by some very clever people.

At the end of the day of course it is up to you, The Editor may fit your needs for document creation and that would be great. I just want to make it clear that the PDF format was designed, as you say, for reading and more recently adapted to editing, but it does not lend itself to word processing per se.

I do not want to discourage you from using the Editor exclusively, but I would like you to understand the limitations of the PDF format itself in this respect.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
brody-xr3
User

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi Paul,

When I saw your detailed reply I felt impressed. That's REAL clarity, and I'm grateful.

Sincerely,

BXR
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
brody-xr3
User

Post by brody-xr3 »

Hi Will,

I've been thinking about this a bit and I don't know which way to go.

I use Word a LOT for collecting ideas, and then switch them over to PDF & use your tools for extraction.

I usually start in Word as it is the most akin to what I grew up with - notes on paper, or even a typewriter.

And, most of the tools there for getting words on to the screen are based on some reflection of those two analog methodologies, writing or typing.

However, I realize that LOTS of Word's functions are more about PRINTING a page, rather than reading it.

So, if I create a "notebook" of ideas, after a while using Word to look through them is pretty challenging.

Is there any program among your tools, or any alternative software, you think is best for being a kind of "spiral notebook on the back pocket"? Or, even 3-ring binder? Where, creating the notes, the platform recognizes they are there to be READ, rather than processed for printing.

Sincerely,

BXR
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi BXR,

That's a really good question actually - You can try playing around with bookmarks:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe ... s2_ed.html

Other than that, I think the closest application to this that I've ever come across is MS OneNote, but there may be other alternatives out there. I've not personally adapted to digital note taking myself, and still prefer the old fashioned way so I'm not really familiar with any tools that may help.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.