Check for Default

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

kelsier
User

Check for Default

Post by kelsier »

I'm working on deploying to multiple machines. I need to leave Adobe Reader set as the default PDF reader on all machines due to software dependency. I've specified SET_AS_DEFAULT="0" in my deploy string which is working correctly, but my users are still getting hit with the check for default notification on initial open. Is there a way to disable this?

I know there is a GPO option, but not all machines are on our domain. Is there a registry entry where I can specify this? I am currently deploying a .xces file, but that doesn't appear to hold this preference.
Attachments
image.png
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Check for Default

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi kelsier,

thanks for the post and excellent question. You raise a good point about the installers and checking the default application for PDFs. The installer doesn't have access to the HKCU hive that this preference is stored in.

There are two settings to consider. One to disable checks for the default

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\FileAssociations]
"b.AllowCheck"=dword:00000000
and one to suppress notification when the Editor is not the default PDF application.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\Prompts]
"b.AskForDefaultApp"=dword:00000000
The former is a Machine Policy. As you can see it is in HKLM and is actually the key that gets set when applying the matching Group Policy "Check if PDF-XChange Editor is default application". You probably want to use that on your domain machines anyway, so set that to "Disabled" to prevent a check at application start up:
image.png
The nice thing about this is that being a policy your users will not be able to override this setting, it takes precedence over user settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software. Users can still delete that key if they find it and without a Group Policvy backing it then it won't get restored next GPUpdate. Of course users getting that via GPO will have the policy enforced and restored on GPUpdate should they ever remove it.

The latter is a local setting with no equivalent policy. If you push this it can be subsequently changed by your users in the Editor Preferences.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
kelsier
User

Re: Check for Default

Post by kelsier »

Perfect. Thanks!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin