fyi, Posibly Misbehaving PDF-XChange Columns Extension

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Bob Coleman
User

fyi, Posibly Misbehaving PDF-XChange Columns Extension

Post by Bob Coleman »

I use a file manager/explorer replacement Directory Opus by GPSoftware. For some time, I've had an issue with the first folder being displayed after a system boot displaying slowly.

Today I discovered that if I disable the PDF-XChange Columns Extension, that behavior goes away. I don't even know what this extension does, whether I'll encounter any undesirable effects of disabling it, or which product might be at fault for any undesirable interaction between the two. I'm just reporting that there apparently is an undesirable interaction for whatever interest it may be.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: fyi, Posibly Misbehaving PDF-XChange Columns Extension

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Bob Coleman,

The Column and Properties sheet handlers both accomplish the same thing, but one is the "legacy" version of the handler. With regards to Windows explorer, the "Column handler" is for windows Vista and Up, while the "Properties sheet handler" is for everything prior. We still offer both however as some 3rd party applications make use of one or the other, and we cannot discern which they will need. All that this accomplishes is offering some additional information in the columns of these applications, such as the PDF specification of the file.

I will forward this report to the relevant Development team members so that they can look into it.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Bob,

Can you please try build 356 and let us know if you still have the issue?

Kind regards,
Stefan
Bob Coleman
User

Post by Bob Coleman »

I stumbled across the most recent reply by accident today. I don't know why I didn't get a notification that a reply had been posted.

Anyway, yes, the problem still exists is some form with build 356. I say "in some form" because it seems that disabling the Columns extension may no longer suppress the undesirable behavior.

See https://resource.dopus.com/t/do-suddenly-slow-on-1st-run-after-installing-pdf-xchange/38400 for more information.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Bob Coleman,

Thanks for testing! I will ask my colleague who is working with the Dopus devs to take a look and they will continue to work together until tis is resolved!

Kind regards,
Stefan