Stamp size gets changed....

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

Stamp size gets changed....

Post by Puffolino »

...when editing the Author (which is a good trick to hide/show comments, so a shortcut for editing the user name would be cool as well).

See attached file and select one of the large squared symbols (Author Michael), show the property panel and change the Author from "Michael" to "Schalter" and the symbol size will shrink. BTW the PdfxVewer seems to make something similar.
Attachments
Bug2.pdf
(183.89 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Stamp size gets changed....

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Puffolino,

This issue is originally caused by the stamps themselves, we have recently encountered a similar issue and are working on a handling method to circumvent the issue, but the root cause and existing stamps will not be affected by this fix.
If you open up the stamp document that these stamps came from and select any of the problematic stamps (from the content pane), you will almost certainly find that there is a "XFORM" object that is larger than the page. With the visible stamp only taking up the a portion of that space. When resizing any stamp, currently we expect to display the full content contained within the stamps page (even if that content goes off the edge and is conveniently invisible).

As before, we are working on a workaround to handle this differently, but the root of the issue is that these stamps were not created properly, containing extra unnecessary data. My recommendation is to recreate this stamp collection with properly formatted stamps that do not contain extraneous data. This can be done by flattening the current stamps onto a page, and then extracting only the actual desired content from each stamp. Paste that onto a new blank page (and repeat for all affected stamps), Then add the newly fixed stamps into the collection!

If this is not done, while we should be able to address the handling on our end, I cannot guarantee that any other software will handle the stamps properly, as they could suffer from the same issue we do while reading it currently.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Interesting, I created a lot of my stamps using CorelDraw and pasted the content on a new document to create a stamp (after flattening the elements). This is needed because using "Add New..." in the Stamps Palette ends in (very) low resoultion bitmaps.

I've attached an stamp file example which contains the "original" stamp SW4 from CorelDraw and the "repaired" version doing flatting the stamp and so on...

After changing the author for each of the two stamps both won't be exactly as before, but the repaired version looks much better.
Bug.pdf
(7.42 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Puffolino,

Thank you for the sample, Glad to hear that repairing it helped to alleviate the issue. Hopefully the changes we plan to make in handling these will help you when editing old documents, but as before, I cannot speak for how our competitors will handle stamps that have not been manually repaired.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Thanks for all efforts improving the editor. :wink:

Maybe some additional functions would assist the "optimizing" of stamps and could also help in other situations.

The content of a PDF file often shows XForms often encasulated by another XForm which has an XForm inside and so on (which also happens when working with stamps as seen before). Another observation is that files (exported from AutoCAD?) have tons of empty "OCG" container.

So removing such "orphans" or simplifying multiple XForm constructs would be a cool option, maybe the other way around (put selected elements into a new XForm) could be also useful from time to time.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Puffolino,

The simplifying of existing Xforms has already been considered, but could lead to a number of complications, and so far has not been accepted for that reason, we are still considering it, but it is something unlikely to be seen unless we can find ways around the issues with it.

As for adding the selected content into an xform, it is an interesting concept, I will try to bring it up for a discussion in the future.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Cool, a lot of different possibilities are here, each enhancement would help :roll:

It's not only tricky to create stamps but also to edit them. When transforming it (Flatten) to allow recreating a modified stamp additional XForm container will be created.

I made 3 different stamps by selecting different numbers of XForms (see pictures):
2 x XForm.png
1 x XForm.png
0 x XForm.png
When placeing these three stamps on an empty document and flatten all of them, even more XForms are created:
Flattened Stamps.png

When dealing with (small sized) stamps, funcions like transform don't work perfectly (see example with a symbol in 1:50 scale). I'm not sure if this could have to do with internal floating point operations - or the limitation how many decimals are accepted in input boxes (e.g. the outline width can't be set to values like 0,05)...
Stamp.pdf
(35.76 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Puffolino,

Thank you for the investigation there. It is very odd (and I doubt it is intended) for extra xforms to be created while flattening... I will forward this to our Dev team for investigation.

Also regarding the "stamps" file that you sent us, I am having even more troubles that you described. This is very strange, I see the difference between the stamps, which method are you using the "transform" the stamp to recreate this situation?

Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Transforming has been done using the popup menu with the right mouse button, then Arrange / Transform...
(another effect I do observe very often when changing the size of stamps is that the line thickness doesn't "match", usually it get wider than expected).

Personally I am struggling with the transform things a lot of times. Often it looks like calculation is done with "low" precision, but I'm unsure. I've enclosed another example, not sure if it is my fault, but try to do the following things (all steps can be done independetly):

Try to get the title text of both pages exact on the same position of the paper (I tried "transform" again).
Copy and paste the rectangle object or all stamps to the other page (I was hoping, it would be on the same place then).
Transformer.pdf
(34.64 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Puffolino,

I have had the Dev team take a look at this document, and it seems that beyond the fact that page 2 is inverted from page 1 (page 1 is rotated 90 degrees, page 2 is 270 degrees), the two pages "Media boxes" are also not the same, which is causing this issue to occur. I am unsure how you created the document with different media boxes for each page, but that difference is what caused this trouble.

We currently do not show the "media box" anywhere, but the "crop box" is always shown relative to the "media box" of the page (for this document it means that they look identical despite being very different). After some discussion we believe it may be beneficial to offer a method of altering the Media box in the Editor, and are looking into possibilities now. For tracking purposes, you can ask about the following ticket number, but know that as usual I cannot provide a timeline for it, or a guarantee of its implementation just yet.

RT#5091: FR: Media box manager

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com