Strange behavior with AutoCad-generated .pdf files

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

takirks
User

Strange behavior with AutoCad-generated .pdf files

Post by takirks »

This is the second time I've run into this, from a second and entirely different client. I have been sent .pdf files from AutoCad, typically formatted as 24"X36" documents. When I go to print them, no matter what I do in page setup, the files print as some off-the-wall size, with no scaling performed, whatsoever.

I'm using a Brother MFC- J6925 DW printer, and no matter what I do with these files, the size appears to be locked somehow. Pull up the Security properties, and there is no sign that anything is locked down, yet PDF Exchange will not print any other output than, in the most recent case, 4"X6".

Yet, if I use the free Adobe Reader product, it prints and scales the same document perfectly.

I think there's a bug here, but I'll be damned if I know where it is. I'd post the files I'm using, but they're proprietary to the client.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Strange behavior with AutoCad-generated .pdf files

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Takirks,

Thank you for the report, Unfortunately for issues like this, there is very little we can do without seeing the documents directly.
As usual, my first suggestion is to ensure that you are running the latest version of both our PDF-Xchange Software when printing, and to check if there are any printer driver updates available for your printer.

As a test, does the issue also occur when printing to virtual printers such as our PDF-XChange Standard printer, or is only affecting the physical Brother on your end?

We fully understand that the document is a client's proprietary information and cannot always be shared, especially on a public Forum like this one. If it is at all possible, would you be able to email it to us directly? In this case we can ensure that no one outside the company will see the document, and If requested in the email you send, we will ensure that we have deleted all traces of it from our systems and servers as soon as we finish looking into the issue. <support@pdf-xchange.com>

If not, I might suggest asking the client if they can create a non-sensitive document for us so that you can see if the issue is reproducible with a document you can share. Hopefully they will understand that you are looking to troubleshoot an issue and their assistance would be quite well appreciated.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
takirks
User

Post by takirks »

I'll send the file along. The strange thing about this is that it appears to be related to AutoCad--I had identical problems with files from another designer, in that they appeared to be "locked" into a specific size for some reason. Nothing I could do in PDF-XChange seemed to work, and I could find no reason for the behavior anywhere in the metadata.

What's odd is that under Adobe Reader, the files print fine.

And, yes--I did try printing the original file over to another .pdf file using XChange, and the same issues carried over. Bizarre--I can find no logical reason for this to be happening, but this makes twice.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thank you for the further explanation, We will look forward to the files when they are available. If you wish you can make the email to the attention of Daniel, so that I will see it when it arrives. Also please include a link to this topic as well, for completeness and quick access to all the facts.

Kind regards!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
takirks
User

Post by takirks »

Already sent the files, failed to link to this topic... Sorry! I did send it to ATTN: Daniel McIntyre, though...
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

No worries Takirks,

Ive received the files and am looking into it now. The first this that I noticed, before digging too depe into this) is that the second file (the one you did a test print with) was created by our V7 build 328.2 printer. We are now in version 8, build 336.0, so If you have not yet, I would highly recommend updating to see if the issue is resolved on your end after that.

Currently I am having trouble reproducing the issue, and the pages seem to be resizing as expected thus far. I will keep testing though.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com