Converting to Excel

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Deborah Tumpak
User

Converting to Excel

Post by Deborah Tumpak »

Hello

I just PDF-Xchange to convert pdf files to Excel most of the time. I am often working from multi-page pdfs, is there a setting so that it will convert to a single page Excel, rather than a tab for each page?

The old pdf converting software I used I could do that.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Converting to Excel

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Deborah,

welcome to the Tracker forums, and thanks for the post.
Unfortunately we do not have such a feature in the current build, although it is in the pipeline. We have an official Feature Request for this, and while for internal use only, referring to RT#4050: FR: Export to excel single sheet here (in this forum thread) will mean any support staff member can get you a status update.

Currently the item is "Open", a developer is assigned the task and it is being worked on. I have asked if there is an ETA for this and will post here when i hear.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Kamm
User

Post by Kamm »

When you export a multi page pdf to excel each page will be on a separate tab with no way to combine the data? Please tell me this is not correct. Right now this is what I see on my docs and sounds like what the original post was asking. It makes no sense to ever set something up like that. I have too much data to combine manually.

I'll be sure to thank my IT guys for buying something for the entire firm that is useless. :roll:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Kamm,

Unfortunately, as Paul said above, we do not currently have such a feature, so yes, it is currently intended that there is no method to do this. We have offered conversion to Excel for years now, and have only seen a minute number of requests for such an addition to the feature thus far. We are looking to implement this function in the future, but do not have a timeline for its implementation yet.

I am sorry to hear that you are displeased with the product. We do always offer the software as a full functioned free download for evaluation purposes, so that functions like this can be tested before a purchase is made.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi Deborah and Kamm.

We will try to implement such feature in the near future. Temporarily you may try to use in Excel the following VBA-script:

Code: Select all

Sub mergeSheets()
    'Define variables:
    Dim book As Workbook
    Dim firstSheet As Worksheet
    Dim sheetsCount As Integer
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim p0 As Range
    Dim p1 As Range

Set book = Application.ActiveWorkbook

If book.Worksheets.Count = 1 Then Exit Sub

Set firstSheet = book.Worksheets(1)

For i = 2 To book.Worksheets.Count

book.Worksheets(i).UsedRange.Copy

Set p0 = firstSheet.Range("A1")

Set p1 = p0.Offset(firstSheet.UsedRange.Row + firstSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count + 1, 0)

p1.PasteSpecial xlPasteAll

Next i

End Sub
- this script merges all sheets to the first one, by appending each content to the end. Also here are some videos how to use this script in Excel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD2-mSbTuL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmdolFcS-fI

And simple workbook that shows how this script works:
MergeAllSheetsToFirst.zip
(20.42 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
(the Excel will warn you that document has macros and you need to allow it, if you want to see how it works)

HTH.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
petepuma01
User

Post by petepuma01 »

I am using version 8.337. I found a new setting that I think does what you want-- Preferences > Convert from PDF > Excel > Create Worksheet. options are 'single for the document' or 'for each page'
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi petepuma01,

indeed the Feature Request RT#4050: FR: Export to excel single sheet was implemented in 8.0.337.0

It sounds like it's working for you, that's good to hear.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com