Watermark appears on *free* features in unlicensed Editor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

vada
User

Watermark appears on *free* features in unlicensed Editor

Post by vada »

The unlicensed version of Editor is placing the "trial" watermark on documents that are not using any features that require a license. Here is what happens:

1) At first I had *only* PDF-XChange Lite Printer Free installed and *not* PDF-XChange Editor.

2) I printed something to (saved as) pdf using PDF-XChange Lite Printer Free and it did not have a watermark.

3) Then I installed PDF-XChange Editor, unlicensed.

4) I printed the same thing to pdf without making any changes to it. Now the pdf has the Trial watermark. Does that mean printing is free in Lite Printer Free but not in Editor? I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this in earlier versions, maybe a year ago, and I don't recall seeing the "requires license" symbol anywhere in the Print function, but I can't be 100% sure because I have since uninstalled Editor and reinstalled Lite Printer Free because I needed to print.

5) It doesn't happen for all pdfs. I think I was only getting the watermark when printing to pdf from a web page from Firefox and not Microsoft Word docs.
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Watermark appears on *free* features in unlicensed Editor

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello vada,

The PDF-XChange Lite included in the Editor's package is not free to use. You need to disable it during the installation in order to keep the free for home version installed earlier.

Regards,
Radi
vada
User

Post by vada »

Radi - Tracker Supp wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:08 pm You need to disable it during the installation in order to keep the free for home version installed earlier.
That is incorrect. After a frustrating hour of multiple rounds of installing and uninstalling Editor and the free-standing version of Lite Printer Free, System Restores, and restarts, I learned that the only way to get Editor to perform the same printing functions that are free in Lite Printer Free is to not have Lite Printer Free installed at the time that Editor is installed. If the free-standing version of Lite Printer Free is already installed at the time Editor is installed, simply disabling Lite Printer during the installation of Editor, as instructed above, not only doesn't work but breaks all printing function entirely. All attempts to print result in a Windows error message, "This document cannot be printed".

Here is what you have to do:

1) Start with no PDF-Xchange software installed.
2) Install Editor without Lite Printer (by choosing "Custom" > deselect Lite Printer)
3) Install free-standing version of Lite Printer Free.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Vada,

Glad to hear you've figured out a way to make it work!
And I will ask our devs to check why installing Editor and selecting to not install lite breaks an existing Free Lite installation.

Regards,
Stefan