Issue when copying text from document

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

michael.tobin.89@gmail.com
User

Issue when copying text from document

Post by michael.tobin.89@gmail.com »

Hi,
I have not been using PDF exchange editor for long but I've had a recurring issue with a few documents that I'm working on.
I am browsing a document and occasionally copying text to another program (mostly one note but sometimes microsoft word) and when copied, all of the spaces in the document are replaced with other characters: mostly hashes but also exclammation marks.

It's incredibly annoying! I haven't found any similar issues posted in the forums so far.

To give an example, this is how the text gets copied out of PDF exchange editor. This does not occur when using the PDF in adobe.

What%does%polysomnography%include?%
Full!polysomnography!includes!monitoring!of!chest!movement,!airflow!dynamics,!HR!+!BP,!arterial!oxygen!saturation!&!
EEG,!all!during!sleep.!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is making the program unuseable for me!
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Issue when copying text from document

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello,

Could you please tell us the version of your PDF Editor as well as the version of your MS Office?

Also, is it possible to send us an example document with which you have this issue?

Regards
User

Hi,
I am using PDF Xchange editor version 7 (build 328.2), I am using microsoft word version 1911 (the latest version with microsoft office 365) and same goes for onenote. I have attached one of the pages from a document I am working on.

Cheers,
Michael
Attachments
Medical viva summary notes_57.pdf
(111.09 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the sample file. I see in it that the font is embedded (e.g. Cumbria) - and all the PDF software I tried (including Adobe, Nitro, Foxit and some build inside browsers previewers) - they all were selecting the text for me with those special characters which for me it was an ! instead of space.
I suspect the issue is that the font is only partially embedded, and e.g. there is enough information so that it can be displayed correctly inside the PDF file, but there is a separate set of information needed to be able to 'extract' that text in a way that can then be pasted in a different software product, and this seems to be missing. I have asked a colleague from the dev team to confirm this, but given that all the software I tried was showing identical result - it seems like the issue is with the file and not with our Editor I am afraid.

As a workaround you can try to create a raster copy of that file and OCR it - and then text selection and extraction should be much easier.

Regards,
Stefan
User

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for looking into that for me, I think you must be right.
Is there a way to make a raster copy with PDF Xchange editor?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

You can do it from e.g. this menu in the Editor:
rasterize.png
But once done - please save this as a copy of the original file so as to not overwrite the source by accident!

Regards,
Stefan
User

Thanks, but that doesn't appear in my editor program. I can only see tools, scan, export, and ocr
Attachments
15783956283419162354420225210036.jpg
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Michael,

Then you probably have an older Editor Build.
You can either update if your license allows this, or you can "export to Images" - and then create a new PDF file from those exported images and OCR it.

Regards,
Stefan
User

Awesome. Updated the editor and did as you advised. Works well.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:D
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com