Go to page number as it appears in document, not page number of the pdf (ignore non-numbered intro pages)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

vada
User

Go to page number as it appears in document, not page number of the pdf (ignore non-numbered intro pages)

Post by vada »

Is there a way to make it so that when you want to go directly to a specific page (ctrl-shift n, then enter a page number), you go to that page based on the numbers that you see on the page in the document, and not based on how many pages are in the pdf?

For example, in a document when enter "28", it takes me to page 13 because there are 15 introductory pages numbered i through xv (or, in some pdfs maybe the intro pages have no numbers at all). By contrast, when you do this in Adobe Acrobat you will end up at page 28, i.e. somehow Acrobat "knows" what the numbers are that you see printed on the page.

->> I understand that each pdf probably had to be set up in the first place to allow this. I am not talking about that. I am talking about situations where for a single given pdf, Acrobat takes you to the "printed" number and PDF-Xchange doesn't.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Go to page number as it appears in document, not page number of the pdf (ignore non-numbered intro pages)

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Vada,

This feature is based on the "logical page numbering" setting, both in the application and the document itself. If you have this function enabled
image.png
And the document is setup so that you can see the "actual page number" (the number you want to use) in the thumbnails pane:
image.png
(Note that you need to have logical page numbers enabled to see these)

Then typing in the "name" of the page, such as A2 in this example, will work exactly as desired!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
vada
User

Re: Go to page number as it appears in document, not page number of the pdf (ignore non-numbered intro pages)

Post by vada »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:00 pm This feature is based on the "logical page numbering" setting, both in the application and the document itself....
Terrific, thank you. I didn't know what this was called.
vada
User

Post by vada »

Our minds are so distorted by decades of bad user interfaces with unintuitive nomenclature that we can't conceive of something like the numbering of pages in logical fashion actually being called "logical page numbering" :wink:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the witty comment Vada!

Indeed - sometimes the obvious is not seen until you stumble upon it :)

In any case - we are glad we could help with this one!

Cheers,
Stefan
Altair
User

Post by Altair »

Actually, the "Logical page numbering" should be enabled by default, and the other option should be called "Illogical page numbering" :)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Altair,

Thank you for the suggestion, but currently we have no plans to change this handling for the moment.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
vada
User

Post by vada »

Altair wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:18 pm Actually, the "Logical page numbering" should be enabled by default, and the other option should be called "Illogical page numbering" :)
Yes. I can't think of any situation where the majority of people who use pdfs would prefer the illogical page numbering, with one exception, which is printing a subset of pages from a pdf on paper where the (actual physical) printer could have trouble understanding which pages are to be printed. Apart from that, I suppose it could be useful to the people who make pdfs but even then I'm not sure; in any case they're outnumbered by thousands, if not tens of thousands or millions, to one, by people who just read pdfs.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Vada,

Both numbering systems have their use, and I do see your point, however - as Daniel stated above for the moment there ate no plans to change the handling of these numbers.

Regards,
Stefan
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Is there a way to quickly/easily add logical page numbers to documents that don't offer them, in order to align logical and physical page numbers in those documents?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Timur,

Are you looking to physically add the numbers to the page? Or are you looking to change back to logical page numbering for the document structure (i.e. the numbers shown in the navigation pane)?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Quickly add the numbers to those documents that do not come with their own logical page numbering implementation. I just found the Page Number -> Number Range feature and this can be used to quickly align logical to physical page numbers by assigning the front pages their own range.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

So if I understand correctly, you've found what you need? :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:D

Support@pdf-xchange.com