Suggestion - Default Encryption

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

izomiac
User

Suggestion - Default Encryption

Post by izomiac »

Hello, I like to use PDF-XChange Editor to scan/store important documents (e.g. tax records) and will typically encrypt them for added security. Today I looked a bit closer and noticed that the default encryption algorithm is RC4, which has a number of significant vulnerabilities. Could the default be changed to one of the AES options instead? This would require a minimum compatibility level of Acrobat 7.0, which was released fifteen years ago.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion - Default Encryption

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Isomiac,

welcome to the Tracker forums and thanks for the post.

Why not just used Acrobat 7 compatibility? 128 bit AES:
image.png
Or Acrobat 9.0 and later, which offers 256-bit AES?

Even better, we have a tool to manage "Security Policies" -
image.png
image.png
where you can set up the algorithm you want to use, as well as all the other associated settings. You can then apply them quickly to any document:
image.png
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
izomiac
User

Post by izomiac »

I do, I just don't think RC4 should be a default option in 2020. RC4 is a very weak encryption algorithm by modern standards with several known attacks against it. There are exceedingly few reasons a person would want to encrypt a document, but use an insecure method to do so. If such edge cases exist, they are quite rare.

To securely encrypt a document, a user has to manually change this setting every time. Less informed users will not realize they need to do so, and everyone is liable to occasionally forget. It's dangerous.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Izomiac,

The main concern here is the 'compatibility' of the encryption used.
128 bit RC4 is compatible with Acrobat 6 and later, while 128 bit AES is compatible with Acrobat 7.0 and later.
I will pass your suggestion to the dev team for consideration, but I can't make any promises as to whether we will actually change this default!

Regards,
Stefan