Feature request: hold shift to constrain to axis

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

justposted
User

Feature request: hold shift to constrain to axis

Post by justposted »

I've waited a few years hoping this would be implemented, but maybe it's not on the developers' list so I figured I'd request it here ...

What I'm looking for is to hold shift when I am dragging a comment, to constrain that comment to the horizontal or vertical axis. Same behaviour as MS Office and Bluebeam, for example.

That way I can, say, create a second text box that is nicely aligned with the first one by ctrl-shift-dragging the first box to create the second. Makes laying out a page somewhat quicker than having to independently Select and Align things a lot.

Any chance that might sneak into an upcoming release?

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: hold shift to constrain to axis

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Justposted,

This is unlikely to make it into any near future releases, but we are exploring options for new alignment functions, and are hoping to eventually have something similar to Visio, where dragging an item onto an axis that another similar object exists on can cause snapping along that axis, though if we can implement it, this is still a long ways away.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

I join the proposal to add the ability to enable forced snapping to orthogonal directions when dragging selected objects by pressing the Shift key, as implemented in Adobe Photoshop. Given the lack of Guides in PDF-XChange Editor, this is a very useful feature. Without it, you have to move objects using the keyboard arrows.

PS: another similar forum topic — "RFE: Using Shift key to force vertical or horizontal translation only when moving objects", https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=35704
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Jensen Head,

Thanks for adding your vote for this feature!

We do have guides - all you need it to have the "Rulers" visible and then you can either directly click and drag to create a new guide on the page, or you can right click and create it from the context menu command with precisely entered values:
image.png
Kind regards,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:22 pmWe do have guides - (...)
Thank you for talking about this feature! When I read the PDF-XChange Standard V9 User Manual (Last Updated: 23/07/2021), for the words "guide" and "snap", the search returned nothing. I created a separate thread for its strange work — https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=37772
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

Thanks for that, Ill be locking this topic now as the main crux of the request has been ironed out and the Dev team is already working on it. I will also take a look at your other post to see about what can be done shortly.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com