What can be done to help the support team?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

What can be done to help the support team?

Post by Puffolino »

I have some complex PDF files (construction plans, seem to be exported from AutoCAD) and the PDF-XChange Editor crashes from time to time (rarely but still annoying). Today I added some elements on the plan (comments) and before mailing the PDF I wanted to flatten all comments. I tried to select all of them (spread over two pages), but Ctrl+A didn't do that. So after the first "Flatten Selected Comments", half of the comments kept untouched. So once again, Ctrl+A and "Flatten", but there was still one comment in the list. Now I selected that one, started "Flatten" for a last round, and the program crashed. I got a message that the Editor will restart (which did not happen). Interestingly, the PDF file has been destroyed as well, the all comments are still here, but the content of one page seems to have disappeared. But I see tons of elements in the panel, but none of them is shown in the document?!

My question, are there any debugging modes, log files, other things which could be generated for better trouble shooting?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: What can be done to help the support team?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Puffolino,

Sorry to hear that this has caused issues with your file. I hope you have a back up copy of the original, and you can copy-paste the comments from the corrupted one if needed!

As for debugging versions - if such are necessary - our dev team would provide you with a custom one, and instructions how to run it to reproduce the problem and then send us the log file(s) generated.
I will now ask my colleagues to take a look at your problem and advise what further info we would need to be able to troubleshoot this one further!

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: What can be done to help the support team?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Puffolino,

For the moment a copy of the file which causes this crash and the crash dump generated should be sufficient. If the file is sensitive - you can send it to support@pdf-xchange.com rather than uploading it here, and if it's too big - you can upload it and e-mail us a link to download it from where you've placed it.

Regards,
Stefan