Add support for ePub?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Paul - Tracker Supp, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software

netsonicyxf
User

Add support for ePub?

Post by netsonicyxf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:30 am

I really hope PDF-XChange add this format.
Include these features: Bookmark, table of contents, hignlights, adding notes.

BigMike
User

Re: Add support for ePub?

Post by BigMike » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:58 am

As Microsoft dropped the support for ePUB files in Edge, I'm looking for a replacement and would highly welcome a support in PDF-XChange Editor.

Ovg
User

Post by Ovg » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:55 pm

It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
PDF-XChange PRO, 8.0 (Build 339.0) / W7 x64 SP1

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi All,

The e-pub file format, as far as I know is quite different than the PDF file format, so it is unlikely we will offer 'native' editing of an e-pub file - ever. Even if we offer some conversion in the future - it will make the file a PDF first before you can then make changes to it.

Please note that this is NOT a promise that we will be offering such a conversion or that any work or even possible investigation of such a converter has been done!

Regards,
Stefan

BigMike
User

Post by BigMike » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:49 pm

Hi,

actually ePub (at least the unprotected files) are a ZIP file, containing html documents (and style sheets and images and...).
It's probably more a DOCX (which PDF XChange Editor can open) than a PDF file. So it was a quite nice (and natural) feature of EDGE to support viewing ePub files...

I understand that the underlying format is completely different. But the usage of a ePub file is quite similar compared to a PDF (mainly reading and annotating)

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:07 pm

Hello BigMike,

Indeed the underlying format is somewhat similar between Docx and epub files, so it may be possible to convert them if we do choose to investigate it further. It should also be noted that we do only convert docx files to and from PDF as well, we do not edit them directly in their original format.
As Stefan mentioned, it is unfortunately not something we can promise at this point in time.

Kind regards,
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

Support: <Support@tracker-software.com>
Sales: +1 (250) 324-1621
Fax: +1 (250) 324-1623

BigMike
User

Post by BigMike » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:16 pm

No problem - but I'm looking for a good replacement for EDGE - mainly to read these files. Microsoft recommends to search an app in the store. I tried a few and liked none. And so I like the idea, because I use the Editor for doing the same tasks with PDFs... :)

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Understood.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you are not using a dedicated e-reader application? These apps are generally designed with the epub and similar formats in mind.
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician

BigMike
User

Post by BigMike » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:39 pm

I used Microsoft Edge browser until Windows 10 1903 as a simple plain reader application.
In Windows 10 1909, Microsoft dropped the support and recommends to use one of the 3rd party apps from the Microsoft store instead. I tried a few and was quite unhappy. They have poorly designed user interfaces or are full of ads or break the layout (compared to Edge) or bring an own library, where I have to import my eBooks, so I have them twice on my hard disk, as I need the originals for my reader device...

If I find an application, which feels "right", I'd use it. But it'S getting more and more off topic now...

TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:58 pm

I see, in that case, good luck with your search.
Hopefully this is something we can offer in the future, but if it is even possible, and something that we decide to offer, it will certainly be a while before it is available.
Kind regards,
Daniel McIntyre
Support Technician