How can I select a text object completely under another text object?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

balmydrizzle
User

How can I select a text object completely under another text object?

Post by balmydrizzle »

I have trouble to select a small text object completely under another larger text object via mouse. The current only way I found is try to look up tree in Contents pane and locate that text object. Is there any better way to do this?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: How can I select a text object completely under another text object?

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Balmydrizzle,

If the content you need to select is base content than using the "Edit > all content" tool and holding "ALT" and clicking repeatedly will allow you to cycle through selectable base content in that location. Unfortunately this is not currently possible with Annotations however, due to the innate complexity of the process. If a comment has no fill value, you can click any content through it by directly selecting the content or its borders instead.

I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
balmydrizzle
User

Post by balmydrizzle »

Please see following screenshot. If you look carefully, there's a small text box inside the large text box. Since the layer of that small text object is behind the larger's layer, I can find NO way using mouse or keyboard to directly select it. I tried your ALT way but it doesn't help neither. This is what I'm asking.

Note: Actually, the original pdf file has only one text object. After I edit it and save the file, when I open it again, it becomes two separate text objects. I guess it's your auto optimized function that causes this separation when saving file. It really troubles me a lot. I have to turn to use comments to cover whole text as a work-around. Sigh!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Balmydrizzle,

Thank you for the screenshot and further clarification, Using Alt and repeatedly clicking on the same location directly above the content you are trying to select should allow you to get ahold of it eventually, it is possible that there are a few layers of content that need to be cycled through before you reach it though. Could I ask you to please send me a copy of this document (even just that one page) so that we can investigate this report more thoroughly?

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
balmydrizzle
User

Post by balmydrizzle »

I'm using v7.0. Could it be that this version no such cylce-through functionality?
balmydrizzle
User

Post by balmydrizzle »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:13 pm Hello Balmydrizzle,

Thank you for the screenshot and further clarification, Using Alt and repeatedly clicking on the same location directly above the content you are trying to select should allow you to get ahold of it eventually, it is possible that there are a few layers of content that need to be cycled through before you reach it though. Could I ask you to please send me a copy of this document (even just that one page) so that we can investigate this report more thoroughly?

Kind regards,
Ok! I send email with sample file to support@pdf-xchange.com in the subject "info for But how can I upload a file here? How can I select a text object completely under another text object?".
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Balmydrizzle,

I see that my colleague Paul has replied to your email, In the future, you can attach items like PDF documents to a forum post by using the "attachments" section, just below the "cancel, submit, and preview" buttons while posting, or by dragging the document directly into the writing area before posting.

Regarding your mention of using V7, My apologies, this was indeed a new feature in V8, thus if you wish to take advantage of it, you will need to update the software.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
balmydrizzle
User

Post by balmydrizzle »

Ok! Many thanks! Before I can update to v8.0, Some work-around comes up into my mind:

"I can now using auto expand to lock up the rear-layer target text object, but if I click it, the focus goes back front-layer text object again. So I bring it to front so that I can click it and enter text editing mode". However, I'd like to know if there's a shortcut key that can enable text editing mode of current selected text object?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello balmydrizzle,

You can assign shortcut to e.g. the "Edit content" command:
edit.png
About 99% of all key combinations in the Editor are customizable:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... the-Editor

Regards,
Stefan