Italic font style lost when re-edit same text after saving file

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

balmydrizzle
User

Italic font style lost when re-edit same text after saving file

Post by balmydrizzle »

Say I click some paragraph and change font face to some Chinese font face (e.g. MingLi [which is default Chinese font in Wins], Microsoft Jenhei), then set the style to italic. Then I save the file and open it again. Now I click back that paragraph for the purpose of re-editing it. The italic font style will be automatically lost. If I click other paragraph to edit something and then click back that paragraph without doing saving file, the italic font will be kept. I've been trying many versions but the symptom is still there.

What would cause this symptom?

Note: I can upload screenshot recording video, if necessary.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Italic font style lost when re-edit same text after saving file

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello balmydrizzle,

Could you please tell us what is your current version of your PDF Editor?

You can see that under the Main menu -> Help -> About.

Also, is it possible to provide us with a sample file and the few of the fonts you are using?

If it is possible, please send them to: support@pdf-xchange.com

Regards.
balmydrizzle
User

Post by balmydrizzle »

Thanks for reply. I'll see if I can get those things you talked about and then get back to you later.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks balmydrizzle,

Looking forward to your feedback!

Regards,
Stefan
balmydrizzle
User

Post by balmydrizzle »

I've already sent an example file to you via email to support@pdf-xchange.com with the subject:"information about question: "Italic font style lost when re-edit same text after saving file" on Dec 5th. You can try to click the text object on upper right side and you'll see the italic style is gone. If you edit anything at this moment, the italic style will be gone forever. Whereas if you doesn't edit anything, when you click some other places, the italic style will be back.

I find one thing: When I select a text object with ltalic style, though the text is in italic style, the value of "italic" field in properties pane of that text object is FALSE and it CAN'T be changed.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Balmydrizzle,

Thank you for returning, we did see your email, and replied to it just shortly after it arrived, this is what my colleague wrote in that email:
we have investigated this and determined that indeed Adobe do handle this italic issue in their Pro product, so we have decided we should fix it in ours as well. To that end I have raised a Support Request ticket to track the progress of this fix. While internal only, if you quote RT#5030: Italics not handled properly in correspondence with us, then any support staff member will be able to get you a status update.
Unfortunately I cannot provide a timeline on this action, but it will be coming in the future. For the time being, I apologize for the inconvenience.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
balmydrizzle
User

Post by balmydrizzle »

You've given me a lot of helps. Thanks! I'd like to feed back more user experiences, in case you don't know yet:

Not only italic stlye lost. If I edit it and enable italic style again, the paragraph properties will be altered, e.g. originally the line spacing is set to Multiple + 1.2, after I enable italic again, it resets back to single line. That's strange, at least, to me (but I believe you might have a technically logic reason for this).
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Balmydrizzle,

From what I can see in the document, many lines of text have their own different "paragraph settings", which you can find while editing text by pressing Ctrl+H. The settings in that window will reflect the settings for the character nearest, or if you have a large segment of text selected, the most common settings among those.

The paragraph below point 5 in your example document shows this most clearly. Can you verify that these are actually changing for you, and the value is not simply being extended from one character into another line while you type?

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com