Can I create a "blank" Dropdown form item

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

vcruz
User

Can I create a "blank" Dropdown form item

Post by vcruz »

I am trying to create a form using the dropdown field that would print only if an item is selected. So the form would have fields that will not show up on the print if they are blank. Can I create a "blank" item in the Combo Box Items? Is there another way to do this? Thanks for any help!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Can I create a "blank" Dropdown form item

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello vcruz,

I am sorry, but I can not quite understand why you need this - if it's going to be a drop down menu - you would normally need to have values in it - why would you create it otherwise! If you only want to show that on some other conditions being met - that's another story, and you can then e.g. change it's visibility as needed.
Can you show us a sample of what you need to achieve and we will suggest the way we think is best!?

Regards,
Stefan
vcruz
User

Post by vcruz »

Hi Stefan-

Thank you for your help. Sorry for the delay! I had to finish other year end project.

I am trying to create a form that will replace several others. I want only the fields required by the end user, and therefore populated, to print. This works for any text field but not for the drop down lists because there is no "blank item" option. See attached image and please disregard the text field formatting. They are only place holders for now.
Attachments
Cert edit 1.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello vcruz,

You can have e.g. an entry with an "empty string" - e.g. " " - just a single space character - and the user will be able to select this as an 'empty' entry. Though I still believe you should e.g. be hiding the whole drop down field if it is not needed - so it won't interfere with e.g. printing either. (You can change the "Printable" and "Visible" properties for a field based on e.g. logic and state of some other fields.)

Regards,
Stefan
vcruz
User

Post by vcruz »

Empty string worked.Thanks! Will the end user be able to edit the "hide" option? Could you send me any reference links for this option. I am very much a newb with this software. Would love to learn more about how to create forms.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello vcruz,

Depending on e.g. security settings in your file - the users might or might not be able to change the form field's hidden parameter, though this is unlikely to happen, and they will need an Editor Plus license to be able to work with forms!
As for what you can do with forms - you can do a lot using JS, and this is a good place to start learning about forms:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe8/form_ed.html

Regards,
Stefan
vcruz
User

Post by vcruz »

Thanks for all the help!!
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

:D
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com