"Previous view" stops at unexpected points

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Daniel1234
User

"Previous view" stops at unexpected points

Post by Daniel1234 »

As I understood it, the "Previous view" function is there to jump back to the previous views of a document. However, there is a problem when scrolling through a document. Whenever while scrolling and one rests for a second or so, this gets counted as a previous view and will be jumped to when clicking on "Previous view" even if one does not release the scroll handle of the scroll bar. I find this behaviour annoying but could not find a preference to change it. Is there one?

Here is my very common use case. In a document a certain page is mentioned. So, I use the scroll part to try to find the page. It is very hard to find the page straight away and I keep scrolling with small rests (without releasing the scroll bar!) to check at which page number I am. Once I have found the correct passage I want to go back and forth between this passage and the original passage where it was mentioned. But that is not easily possible since "Previous view" brings me through all the places where I shortly rested while scrolling.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: "Previous view" stops at unexpected points

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Daniel,

I am afraid that this option can not be turned on or off. However - why don't you try the split view instead?
That way you can scroll two sections of the same document independently.

Regards,
Stefan
Daniel1234
User

Post by Daniel1234 »

Thanks for the quick reply Stefan. I don't use the split view because my screen is already split (a pdf document and a word processor). And my screen space is just to limited to work with three documents side by side by side.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel1234
User

Post by Daniel1234 »

Ah, I could maybe work with a vertical split.

But do you anyway see that the problem I reported seems like an unexpected behaviour? I can't think of any use for the function as it is implemented.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Daniel,

I am afraid that it's not possible to 'ignore' those 'short stops in scrolling' at the moment, and I am not sure if such a feature will be approved - but I can check!
In the mean time - maybe trying to use the "go to page" (Ctrl+Shift+N) might be better? Or if your file has bookmarks - you can use the bookmarks for navigation, or maybe there are links over those reference points - and you can simply click the link to go to the correct page without the need to scroll, and then "go to Previous" will take you to the original page where the reference was made?

Regards,
Stefan