Image compressing (Issue & Feature Requests)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

Image compressing (Issue & Feature Requests)

Post by Puffolino »

Most of the time PDF files are large because of the included images - so that's a point where I want to to optimize the documents in general.

Let's have a look at the following file of around 2 MB:
ImageSize.zip
(98.74 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

In the content list there are two images (feature request: I'd like to see the file size here, not only width and height)...
...when selecting one of the images and start "recompress image" I get the information that the image only needs some kilo bytes.

And where's the "bug"? Not sure, but when doing the "Audit Space Usage" there are listed 4 images. Seems that each image is splitted in a mask and an overlay but the mask can't be handled (recompressed) by hand. Maybe the recompressing dialog should allow select "image only", "mask only", "image and mask" here?

Another feature request: allowing to recompress multiple selected images.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Image compressing (Issue & Feature Requests)

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Puffolino,

I had a colleague from the dev team take a look at your file - and he told me that:
Both images havr external SoftMask (transparency), and both SoftMask images are uncompressed, thus the file gets so big.
Optimizing this file without downsampling will fix the file size to ~96Kb

So yes - the images you see are indeed small - 30-35KB each, and it is the masks on top of them that make the file size 'explode' in this case. As the mask is applied to the image you see - it is not listed as a separate object in the contents pane, and there's currently no way to see that particular type of information in the Editor, but optimizing the file (without down-sampling in this case) will still have a significant effect. Even your archive was only 99KB for a 2MB original file!

Regards,
Stefan
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Thanks Stefan,

seems that the technical explanation show that my thoughts haven't been to far away from the truth. So maybe somewhen in the future there will be a possibility to deal also with the masks - even such kind of images are not commonly used.

Independendly I would like to ask for enhancing the information for all image objects in general (even it may show unprecise information for such special images):
show something like [W:1200 H:800, 235KB] instead of [W:1200 H:800] for images in the content view.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Puffolino,

Yes - I will pass this along for consideration along with the suggestion for file size reporting.

Regards,
Stefan
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello again Michael,

After checking this topic with a colleague in the dev team - we've made not one but two tickets:
#5009: FR: Editor "Add ImageSize label next to W/H/X/Y section"
#5010: Editor 334: Recompress Images: autocompress SoftMasks/Masks

The first is more of a feature request, and the second one is more of a bug fix, as these masks can certainly be compressed and optimized so that the file gets smaller, and we will see to improve the way this is handled!

Regards,
Stefan