Selection tool

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

trager
User

Selection tool

Post by trager »

In inkscape (or maybe it was some other app) I can select objects in two ways:

1. Draw select-rectangle top down : Items get selected that are 100% inside the selection box
2. Draw select-rectangle from down to up: All items that are even partly inside the selection gets selected

This is really important feature. How do i do this in X-change editor ?
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Selection tool

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello trager,

In our PDF Editor, you can select either base content or comments, the same way as in other applications by drawing a rectangle around the content.

You can try that using your PDF Editor in Free mode, and see if it works the way you want it to work.

Just download it and install it.

Regards.
trager
User

Post by trager »

I have already licence

When trying to edit other document, it just selects the biggest box every time and never the square beneath it!

How about modifier like alt I could click multiple times and editor would try to select not the most top element but one by one other elements under the cursor ?? this is in inkscape
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello trager,

Is it possible to send us an example file with which you have this issue?

Please send it to support@pdf-xchange.com

along with a screenshot of what you see at your end when you try that.

Regards.
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

Dear support Team,

i am writing this because it seems the thread got abandoned, but the idea or feature suggestion still persists.

i suggest as trager did before to rework the both selections:
image.png
image.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
and
image1.png
image1.png (2 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
in the way it works for example in Autocad. There is the way a) of selecting a comment (or base content) by eighter drawing a box (completely) around it or b) by solely touching it with the selection-box.

Why could both of the ways be useful?

When the box solely has to touch a comment (or base content) in b) it selects a lot of content.
While on a) we are able to be more "picky" when we have to draw a box around the whole thing.

Do you understand what i mean? I know my english is not too good... Dont you think this could be a useful Feature for the future?

Kind regards
Christoph
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Christoph,

I think I do understand what you mean. I believe I have seen this in SolidWorks also, where the direction of dragging the marquis changes the behaviour. Dragging Top Left to bottom right selects, for example, all objects that the bounding box (marquis) touches, dragging from bottom right to top left selects only objects that are completely encompassed by the bounding box.

To be honest, since I do not have access to SolidWorks right now I am not sure which way it works. I tested in Inkscape just now and it seems to need to have the entire object inside the selection regardless of the direction the marquis is dragged. Is that an option that needs to be turned on in Inkscape?

I will discuss this with the Editor Lead developer. He is unavailable for most of this week, si I do not expect to an update here until the end of the week.

I hope that helps.,
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

Hi Paul,

thanks for answering so quick! i had to reply by email due to the posting-of -links thing. So you have mail :-)

best regards
Christoph
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Christoph,

I have the email and will pass that on to the appropriate developer for consideration. I cannot promise he will deliver the feature.

Regards.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

This Feature Request has been accepted.

While for internal use only, a reference to RT#5472: Feature Request :: Editor :: Object selection options will enable any support staff member to get a ticket status update.

I hope that helps.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
cfessler
User

Post by cfessler »

This is great to hear! :-)

Thanks a lot!!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Selection tool

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

trager wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 amIn inkscape (or maybe it was some other app) I can select objects in two ways:
1. Draw select-rectangle top down : Items get selected that are 100% inside the selection box
2. Draw select-rectangle from down to up: All items that are even partly inside the selection gets selected
In AutoCAD, the selection of objects is implemented in a similar way: selection from left to right (bottom or top — no difference) selects only objects that are completely included in the selection frame, selection from right to left (top and bottom — no difference) - all objects that are at least partially present inside the selection rectangle. https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2021/ENU/?guid=GUID-243E4DD0-8947-4905-AFE2-BE9B903A8C3F

As I understand it, this approach does not work at present in the PDF-XChange Editor. As well as deselecting a part of the selected objects with a frame while holding down the Shift key.
Last edited by Jensen Head on Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

You are correct, at present we still do not offer these options, It has seen some development time, but it likely will still be quite a while before we see change in this area.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com