Page counting error in build 334.0

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ChrisZ16
User

Page counting error in build 334.0

Post by ChrisZ16 »

Since update to build 334.0 there is a page counting error with all PDFs I tried:

I use Ribbon Layout with Continuous pages. If I stretch the Editor window to more than 2 pages horizontally, the page counter in the status bar is wrong (in Thumbnails Pane the numbering is correct):

- with 3 or 4 pages shown, page 1 is counted as page 2 (page 2 as page 3 and so on),
- with 5 or 6 pages shown, counting starts from 3,
- with 7 pages shown it starts from 4.
So with every pair of pages shown horizontally, the counter adds +1 to page 1 and counts from that on.

If I click the small arrows left of the page counter (Prevoius Page, First Page) I can go until it shows "1", but at the next move inside the document it jumps to the wrong numbering again.

It makes no difference, which UI-Scaling I use - "No Scale (Normal DPI)", "No Scale (System DPI)" or "System Scale", I tried each with restart.

Page Display/Use logical page numbers also makes no difference. Then documents with a page I are counted starting with II or III etc.

Page Display/Resolution is "Automatic: 101" pixels per inch.

Monitor is 40", 3840 x 2160 (native). Actually 2 of them as one big display, but the error is the same, if XChange Editor is only shown on one monitor.

I did not change any preferences from build 333.0, where I did not see this problem.

EDIT: Just tried it on another PC with only one smaller monitor - same problem.
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Page counting error in build 334.0

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Chris,

Could you please send a screenshot of what you see at your end?

Regards.
ChrisZ16
User

Post by ChrisZ16 »

Sure - according to topic it is quite wide. In this picture I selected page 1 and in Thumbnails Pane it has a blue background (the screenshot shows it only as grey).

Clip_ver001.jpg

If I select page 8, the page counter in the status bar shows "page 11" etc. In a long document I would probably delete the wrong pages.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Chris,

The page number on the bottom of the screen informs you of the centermost page in the display area, as such this is working correctly. Conversely, when clicking on a thumbnail, the Editor will try to move the upper left corner of the document into the upper left area of the display window. In ribbon layout, that causes a different between the "selected page" and "display page" numbers.

Rest assured that when using the thumbnails pane, deleting, moving, or copying pages, is contained within that pane, and is not dependant on the display page. If you press delete, you will delete the page that is selected in the thumbnails pane.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
ChrisZ16
User

Post by ChrisZ16 »

Thank you for the explanation!

I don't quite understand the sense of a page counter informing me of the centermost of eg. 7 displayed pages instead of the selected one.

Regards
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Chris,

There isn't much sense to it, that was simply an explanation of how it currently works. As it stands the "main" display mode of the Editor is the Standard "vertical" page layout, not the ribbon page layout, and as such most of the logic is founded in that layout, including this calculation. I have raised a feature request to refactor this calculation specifically for the ribbon layout, but it will likely be a while before you see any changes on that front.

If you are ever looking for an update on the request, you can ask any member of our support team about the following ticket number:
RT#4997: Rework Ribbon page layout "current page" number

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com