Audit Space Usage - Document Overhead

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Puffolino
User

Audit Space Usage - Document Overhead

Post by Puffolino »

Found a PDF file which has around 8MB "Document Overhead", after optimizing the file (activated all options except image compression) the "Overhead" does not decrease and stays at the same size.

Are there any more details available about this overhead content and could there be an option to get rid of this?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Audit Space Usage - Document Overhead

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Puffolino,

Document overhead is generally speaking, anything that does not fit into the other categories, usually items like special Document Metadata, or other structure items. As such, it is generally not possible to reduce these through the optimization process.

If you can send us a copy of the document, we can investigate for you, and see if there is any way we can improve this.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
Puffolino
User

Post by Puffolino »

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your offer - the actual document contains sensible data but maybe I'll find some other files which I am allowed to forward to you.

Anyhow it would be cool to get (some) more detailed information in the "audit space usage" dialog (and I would like to see the the "audit space usage" button in the "Document proprties" dialog. :wink:

Cheers,
Michael
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Michael,

Thanks! Hope you will manage to find a file you can share!
I will pass your suggestion about the placement of "Audit Space Usage" in the document properties pane to the guys as well.

Cheers,
Stefan
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:16 pmI will pass your suggestion about the placement of "Audit Space Usage" in the document properties pane to the guys as well.
Adobe Acrobat Pro DC' Audit Space Usage.png
Description / Bytes / Percentage
Images
Content Streams
Fonts
Structure Info
Document Overhead
X Object Forms
Extended Graphics States
Cross Reference Table
Total
Do I understand correctly that this great tool for understanding why a PDF document is so large has not yet been implemented in PDF-XChange?
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, Jensen Head

The feature does indeed exist, it is simply under "file > save as optimized" instead of being under "File > document properties".
image.png
The request here is simply to offer a second location to access this button, and as such is considered low priority. There are often more pressing matters, and unfortunately any planning and implementation for this feature is entirely in the hands of our dev team leader.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com