Enhanced search functionality led to less results

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ElHatzid
User

Enhanced search functionality led to less results

Post by ElHatzid »

The following descripted behaviour was observed with the PDFXChange Editor Plus Version: 7.0 (Build 328.2)

When the advanced search pane is opened the user can (re)define the search options. In our case:

1. We used“words in same document” for the search setting “distance between search words” (proximity).
2. We selected page text and bookmarks (see attached screenshot)
3. We used for the testcase the attached document (ImprovingCachePerformance-SelectiveCacheBypass.pdf)
4. Entered the search string (as you can see in the screenshot) “bypass vector instruction pollut compil mark local”

Result:

1. You will get lots of hits – as long as the annotations are NOT included in the search area
2. As soon as you include the annotations, you will not get any hit

It looks like the search is returning less results if someone is using the extenden search funcionality.

Note1: if you place an annotation somewhere, with the searched text, you will get again some hits. Alternatively you get also some hits even with inclusion of annotation area and no creation of matching annotations, if you reduce the search string to “bypass vector instruction pollut” – but still this result is not correct, as the listed hits are far too few (you see it, if you toggle the setting “include annotations” for the searched content).

Note 2: this behaviour still appears with 8.0.332.0

This problem was communicated to you with E-Mail in 08/2019 and the answer from your support team was that every single PDF reader behaves identically.
Attachments
SnipImage.JPG
ImprovingCachePerformance-SelectiveCacheBypass.pdf
(727.4 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Enhanced search functionality led to less results

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello ElHatzid,

I have managed to reproduce this and created a formal bug report for it:

RT#4967: Search multiple words breaks with comment searching

Unfortunately I do not have any workarounds for the moment, if something comes up, I will be sure to post here and let you know. Beyond that, while I cannot provide a timeline for a resolution, you ask any member of our support team for updates on this ticket number as times goes on.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Whoa! That seems to be a pretty severe bug, if you depend on finding things in documents.

Just to keep possibly related issues together, here's another thread with a (remotely) similar bug in Advanced Search:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=28966&hilit=advanced

Thanks @all
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello David,

Yes - it is one that needs to be addressed with priority, and I have just increased the same for the ticket.

Regards,
Stefan