All UI settings lost

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

jotess
User

All UI settings lost

Post by jotess »

Hello,
I just opened PDFX-Change Editor and found it with a seemingly completely new UI. Probably it is the default ribbon UI, but anyway all my customizations have vanished. To be exact: not all. Custom settings of tools have remained. And I found the switch to get back to classic UI. But then I had to switch on most of the toolbars. And still I believe there is stuff missing.
In the forum I found things about F8 and Ctrl+F8 but it seems this can not have been the cause in my case. I can't have hit any key, I just opened the application.
Although I got the program back to a state with which I can somehow work, it would be nice to just have things like I configured them. Is there a configuration file somewhere on my hard disk of which I might find a backup?
Best regards
Joachim
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: All UI settings lost

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Jotess,

If you were using Version 6 or earlier and just updated, unfortunately those settings are not compatible with version 7 and up, and as such are not available. If no update was performed but settings have been lost, the only way to restore them is to import a previously exported settings file. If you have not manually exported settings in the past, unfortunately you will not be able to recover the old ones.

I would advise doing your customizations now, and then exporting settings via File > manage settings > export settings, so that you have a backup for future use.

The most likely cause of this, if you did not update from v6 recently, is registry cleaning software. Nearly all of our settings are stored in the registry, and as such, if our registry keys are changed or removed, settings will be lost. If you do have any registry cleaning software, please make an exception for the following keys, and all subkeys:

Code: Select all

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software
Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
jotess
User

Post by jotess »

Hm, strange.
I have not made any update between the last use yesterday (when everything was fine) and this time today. Neither to PDF-XChange Editor nor to any other software. And I don't have any registry cleaning software or anything the like - I mistrust such stuff.
Thanks for the hint with exporting settings. I knew this and had hoped I had done that before, but I hadn't.
regards
Joachim
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Joachim,

Could you please tell us on what Windows is you PDF Editor installed?

Also, do you use the latest version 8.0.333.0 of our products?

Regards.