Open document in context menu

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PRBruinsma
User

Open document in context menu

Post by PRBruinsma »

Hi,

When a document is opened using the context menu ("Open in PDF-XChange Editor") it is always opened in the same window as the previous opened document. Sometimes (but not always) I would like to open a document in a new window. Is it possible to add that feature to the context menu?

Regards,
Piet
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: Open document in context menu

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hello,

Maybe just a word-around for the time being:

In case you like to open additional PDF's in their own window most of the time, you could think about activating/marking the check-box "Open each new document in a new window" in PDF-XChange Editor, via the Edit-menu > Preferences > General > Setup...

When the above option has been turned ON, and
1) you like to open an additional PDF in an already open window, then in that window, click the + sign next to the tab of the PDF(s) that is(are) already open and select the additional PDF via the "Open Files" dialog box.
2) you like to open an additional PDF in its own window, then starting from the window that is already open, click the "Open" button in the toolbar and select the additional PDF via the "Open Files" dialog box OR open the additional PDF directly from within File Explorer.

Best regards.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello All,

Willy's suggestion here is likely to be the best solution for this. Unfortunately, while I can bring it up with the team, it is highly unlikely that we will be adding additional entries to the right click context menu. We do not want to clutter the menu with further options and make it difficult to navigate.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PRBruinsma
User

Post by PRBruinsma »

Thanks Willy and Daniel for your replies.

@Daniel, maybe you could bring it up with the team. In my opninion the context menu will not be cluttered when one line is added. In my company each employee has three screens. For us it is very handy if we could select multiple documents in Windows Explorer, open them in a seperate window through the context menu and place the window on an other screen.

Regards,
Piet
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

So, why not just activate the option "Open each new document in a new window" ?
PRBruinsma
User

Post by PRBruinsma »

Hi Willy,

Maybe I was not clear enough on the subject. I'm sorry.
What I ment was that I'm just fine with the default setting.
But sometimes I would like to compare two of more documents and for that reason two windows on two screens come in handy.
But this not what I want/need all the time.

Regards,
Piet
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello PRBruinsma,

Unfortunately the suggestion has been rejected, as this process would simply open a number of windows in roughly the same spot on one screen it would completely defeat the purpose. At that point it is the same amount of effort to open the files normally, then drag the document tabs out of the one main window over to your other monitors in order to organize them visually. This article goes over that process: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowle ... nge-Editor

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
PRBruinsma
User

Post by PRBruinsma »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.
Dragging the tab(s) out of the window to the other screen is indeed the best solution.

Regards,
Piet
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com