PDF-XChange Editor 4k Monitor Support

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PhilH
User

PDF-XChange Editor 4k Monitor Support

Post by PhilH »

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious here. But I've just bought a 4k monitor and have tried using PDF-Xchange viewer with it but although the menus and toolbar scale properly according to the Windows 10 scaling set for that monitor (150%), PDF-Xchange viewer messes up the actual content of the PDF file so any benefits of having a 4k monitor are lost. So, I thought I'd try PDF-XChange Editor instead and although it shows the PDF content correctly it completely ignores the Windows scaling set for the monitor that it's running on. So, I get tiny menus and tool bars that aren't really readable on a 27" monitor.

I can't believe that the later software doesn't support Windows 10 scaling so I feel I must be missing a key feature, like the ability to define this within the settings of PDF-XChange Editor. Although it seems likely that such a solution would not work if you were using multiple monitors.

By the way, Abode Acrobat does work correctly and scales the menus and toolbars correctly without mashing the content of the PDF document.

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise 1903 build 18362.418. PDF-XChange Editor Version 8 Build 333.0

I’m surprised other people haven’t seen this problem, indeed I’m surprised it exists in the first place really.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: PDF-XChange Editor 4k Monitor Support

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello PhilH,

Welcome to our forums.
Please try changing this option in the Editor's preferences to System scale and let us know if that works:
system_scale.png
Regards,
Stefan
PhilH
User

Post by PhilH »

Thanks Stefan,

That's exactly what I was after. Unfortunately PDF-XChange Editor has the same issue and when Windows scaling is applied does not render the PDF content correctly, hence degrading the document resolution. You need to have a word with your software engineers and get them to use the correct DLLs and so on so PDF-XChange Editor handles scaling properly. In the interim I'll have to resort to Acrobat.

Phil
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Phil,

Have you tried to also adjust this:
Rendering_res.png
I have mine set at 112 DPI - as I am also on a 4k display but it's physically large, and as such that 112 gives me smooth rendering and a 100% zoom on the screen giving me a size equal to the actual physical dimensions of a sheet of paper with the same dimensions (e.g. A4 at 100% is exactly 210mm wide on my screen).

If this is not the rendering issue you experience - can we have a screenshot of that and a comparison with what you expect it to be?

Regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi @all,

I use "System Scale" in the UI Scale settings (with Windows set to 200% dpi), and Resolution: "Automatic: 192 dpi" on many 24" 4K monitors, and everyting (UI and document) is scaled to pixel perfection.

Hth & best regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks David!

Certainly adjusting System scale and the rendering DPI should help Phil above as well!
Looking forward to your feedback Phil to let us know if your files are now rendering correctly?

Regards,
Stefan