Redaction Color

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Redaction Color

Post by Arnold »

The dialog box for changing Redaction Color has an option for None. This option can be selected, but does not seem to work. However, I can set it to any color and those settings seem to work fine. Should the None option work also?

Thanks.

Windows 7 sp2, PDFX 333.0

2019-10-14 10_28_29-.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Redaction Color

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Arnonld,

It definitely works - this is the colour that will be used after you apply the redaction - and here is a sample with two redactions applied to the same image. One is with Yellow and the other is with "None" as the colour. As you can see - where None was used the content is completely removed, and not replaced with a yellow rectangle - instead the transparency grid behind can be seen:
Redaction_none.png
Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

It appears I don't understand how this works. I expected with the attached page to see the pink background underneath with the None setting.

Are you able to save your settings so that None is the default choice for Redaction Color? I can't seem to do that here.

Thanks.
Attachments
Calibre Test.pdf
(51.68 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Arnold,

The pink background is also a content element in your file, so a portion of it will be "redacted out" just as any content over it. It is like cutting out that part of the page with a scissors if it was a real physical page, not just erasing out some layers of it.

If you open the contents pane in your sample file, and remove everything but the background (It is actually "light orange" colour with 25% Opacity) - then you will see that the 'yellow' redaction also left a hole in that object:
redaction_background.png
We still see the "None" and "Yellow" words - as they are comments and not base content.

As for setting "None" as the default colour for the redaction tool - yes that works for me.

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I fiddled around and got the None setting saved. Always redacting black text on a white page so white also works fine as the default.

All started by my desire to do redactions without a black box which I think was the default setting. I don't ever remember changing it.

Thanks.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Glad to hear the issue is resolved!

Indeed black is the default for redaction, do note that setting the option to "white" will place a white rectangle in the location the redaction happened, so if you wish to keep "extraneous content" (and thus file size) to a minimum, "none" is a better option.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com