Searching words in Searchable PDF's using non-English languages

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

elhanan
User

Searching words in Searchable PDF's using non-English languages

Post by elhanan »

Hello there I'm trying pdf Xchange editor, I downloaded OCR Language from the given link in this website. The problem is I already installed the OCR language but pdf Xchange editor is not recognizing the pdf's language. When I select some words and paste it in other places like for example, in "find" input field , it shows symbols not the actual selected word. I attached an Image. Please help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Searching words in Searchable PDF's using non-English languages

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi elhanan,

Thanks for the email - This is usually due to a poor quality image in the document that is being OCR'd. Can you please send a sample document?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
elhanan
User

Post by elhanan »

Actually I scanned the paper with "searchable pdf" option and "300" resolution. I don't think the problem is related to image quality, first of all I scanned to Searchible PDF format, next English words work fine, only my language doesn't work. I think I've missed some configuration in xchange-editor settings since am new to the software.

I've downloaded "Afrikaans" OCR language set from setting, but still doesn't work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello elhanan,

It seems like you attached the wrong file. Could you please provide a sample PDF file in which we can see the issue?

Also, please do send us a screenshot of your OCR settings.

If the file is confidential, please do not post it on the forum. Instead, send it to us via e-mail at support@pdf-xchange.com with a link to this forum topic.

Regards,
Radi
elhanan
User

Post by elhanan »

Ok Here is the attached pic of my OCR Setting, since am using Amharic Language I have downloaded Afrikaans OCR language pack from the downloads. And I send the PDF through the email you provided since I didn't want to show it publicly.

Thank you so much for your help, and if the issue fixed I will use the software since it is the only software that seems to support my language.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello elhanan,

Thanks for the e-mail and the settings here.
The problem is that Afrikaans is an Indo-European language (with 90-ish percent Dutch origin) written with the Latin Alphabet, while Amharic appears to be a semitic language - and the alphabets used are quite different, so it is not unexpected that trying to use the Afrikaans language pack does not produce the desired results in your document, and I am afraid that we do not seem to have your language available in our OCR tool!

Regards,
Stefan
elhanan
User

Post by elhanan »

:( :( Ok then but why did you added the word Amharic in Afrikaans OCR language pack?? Anyways thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Elhanan,

Apologies - but I am not sure I fully understand where that is listed! Can you please e.g. share a screenshot where Amharic is listed in the Afrikaans language pack?

Thanks,
Stefan