'Magnification' Setting Is Missing From 'Initial View' Dialog Box

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

End User
User

'Magnification' Setting Is Missing From 'Initial View' Dialog Box

Post by End User »

I am used to being able to set the 'Magnification' setting to something like 'Fit Page', 'Fit Width', etc. when I am setting up the 'Initial View' properties in the 'Document Properties' dialog box.

When I search for 'Fit Page' in the help index, result #5 is "Tabs Guide > File Tab > Document Properties"
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/pdfxe ... es_ed.html

In that help file result, it shows a screen shot of the 'Initial View' and the top portion of options is called 'Layout and Magnification' which has (4) fields:
Navigation View
Page Layout
Magnification
Open To Page

In my 'Initial View' dialog box, my top portion of options is called 'Initial Layout' and only has (2) fields:
Navigation View
Pay Layout

Where do I go to find and set the Magnification to my preferred 'Fit Page' for when the document is opened?
Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 (64-Bit) ~ PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version 10.2.1, Build 385 (Enhanced OCR, January 22, 2024; 14:48:39)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: 'Magnification' Setting Is Missing From 'Initial View' Dialog Box

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello End User,

The function you are looking for is "default page zoom":
image.png
I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
End User
User

Post by End User »

Unless I'm missing something, setting that 'Default Page Zoom' to 'Fit Page' would only affect documents that I open on my own computer.

I'm looking for a way to set the document properties in such a way that no matter who opens them, that they would open in 'Fit Page' (if that is the option I set it to). I realize this would only work if the check box for 'Respect Document's Settings' is checked.
Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 (64-Bit) ~ PDF-XChange Editor Plus Version 10.2.1, Build 385 (Enhanced OCR, January 22, 2024; 14:48:39)
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

In that case, you would want to look in the "open action" section, just below the initial layout:
image.png
Note that this option, being document specific, must be set on a per document basis. Beyond that, it is entirely dependant on the application that is opening it to respect this setting. some applications will ignore zoom settings, and others, like our software, have options that may override them.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
End User
User

Post by End User »

That works, thank you.
End User
User

Post by End User »

TrackerSupp-Daniel wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:17 pm In that case, you would want to look in the "open action" section, just below the initial layout:
image.png
Note that this option, being document specific, must be set on a per document basis. Beyond that, it is entirely dependant on the application that is opening it to respect this setting. some applications will ignore zoom settings, and others, like our software, have options that may override them.

Kind regards,
I've been using the above suggestion very successfully since it was presented to me. However, I have one particular PDF document that refuses to open up to Page 1 and Fit Page.

Any suggestions on why one particular file would refuse to obey the 'Open Action' settings?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello End User,

There might be some Java Script in that file that triggers either immediately when the file is opened or as soon as the file finishes loading - and move you to another page. If you can share this file with us (either here or e-mail it to support@pdf-xchange.com if sensitive) - we will be happy to take a look and check exactly why this is happening.

Kind regards,
Stefan