Default to Show Cover Page whether file opened in Single or Two Page view

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gopher_everett
User

Default to Show Cover Page whether file opened in Single or Two Page view

Post by gopher_everett »

Hello,

When using PDF-XChange Editor, is there a way to set the default to: Show Cover Page in Two Pages View?

I have a large document which when viewing, I frequently toggle between Single Page and Two Page view. However, when the document is initially opened and happens to be in Single Page view, changing to Two Page view always has the page numbering messed up (the left page is on the right and vice versa) and therefore requires the following adjustment:

View > Page Layout > Show Cover Page in Two Pages View

Is there a way to change the default setting so that the above steps are not required each time the file is open?

I went to:

Edit > Preferences > Page Display > Initial Display > Default Page Layout

which I found is currently set to Automatic. I also noticed, in the drop-down menu, the following two options:

Two Pages Continuous with Cover Page
Two Pages with Cover Page

What is the difference between the two and will selecting one of them, prevent me from opening the file in Single Page view if that's how it was most recently closed?

I basically want the file to always open however it was previously closed (whether in Single Page or Two Page view) and with the Cover Page included.

Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Default to Show Cover Page whether file opened in Single or Two Page view

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Gopher,

The page layout and page zoom options here:
image.png
Including the "two pages with cover" and "two page continuous with cover" options are all dependant on the checkbox above them "restore last used".
In cases where a document has never been opened by the Editor before, it will assume the setting specified here. If you uncheck that option, than all documents will open in the specified layout regardless of whether or not they had been opened in the past.

As for the difference between two pages, and two page continuous. Two page continuous allows you to scroll continually between sets of pages. IE you could see page 1 and 2 on the top half od the screen, and page 3 and 4 on the bottom half. If you are not using a continuous page layout, than when you reach the bottom of one set, the editor will jump so that the top of the next page it at the top of the editor window.
Here is an example:
Two page continuous:
image.png
Two page:
image.png
I hope this helps!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
gopher_everett
User

Post by gopher_everett »

Thank you for the prompt reply Daniel.

Here is a screenshot of my current settings:

2019-10-02d.png

Example:

Suppose I've got the file open in Two Page view and notice that the left & right page numbering is reversed. I've learned that by going to:

View > Page Layout

and clicking the Show Cover Page in Two Pages View option, ie changing from this:

2019-10-02b.png

to this:

2019-10-02c.png

the numbering problem is fixed.

However, after working in the file (which may or may not include adding or changing annotations and toggling a few times between Single Page and Two Page view), saving the changes, and closing the file, I discover the next time it's opened, that the numbering problem is once again present and am forced to repeat the process described above.

In other words, it does not seem to "restore [the] last used page layout", but requires me to fix the reversed page numbering every time I open the file. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Thanks again.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Gopher,

Thank you for the screenshots of you UI, if this function is not being remembered, that is likely because you are using an older version. I am unsure exactly which version is running, but it is certainly from before our V7 release. As such, I cannot say if this is a bug, or if remembering that option simply was not yet possible in that update, but I can say that this works as expected in the current release (Version 8 build 333.0) I would highly advise you update the software to this latest version, so you can take full advantage of the new features, and subsequente bugfixes.

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com