Problem with IFilter Handler

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bobn0gfh
User

Problem with IFilter Handler

Post by bobn0gfh »

I've been using PDF-Xchange Editor for years, and last year upgraded to the paid version. I recently upgraded to the latest version, skipping from version 6 to version 8. At the same time I made sure the PDF-XChange IFilter Handler was enabled. Files have been missing from my search results, and after lots of fruitless troubleshooting with Windows 10 Search, I finally realized that all the files missing from search results were PDF files. I switched the IFilter handler to the Microsoft Windows PDF IFilter Handler, and PDF Files suddenly started appearing in my search results again.

Is this a bug, or am I missing some necessary setting? What's the advantage of the PDF-XChange IFilter Handler over the Microsoft Windows PDF IFilter Handler?
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Problem with IFilter Handler

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello bobn0gfh,

Welcome to our forum.

Just to make sure that I'm understanding the problem correctly, could you please confirm that only the PDF files are missing in the Windows search results?

Could you please tell us the exact version of your PDF Editor and the Windows as well?

Regards.
bobn0gfh
User

Post by bobn0gfh »

That is correct, only pdf files are missing from the search results. I'm using PDF-XChange Editor Plus version 8 build 333.0 and Windows 10.
Trombomaniac
User

Post by Trombomaniac »

I have the same problem.
Issue seems to be with the iFilter.
In the index options the iFilter for pdf is "Reader Search Handler"
Does not seem correct if PDF xChange Editor is installed, doesn't it?

Editor Version: 8.0.333
Windows 10

Regards

Maik

Update
Installing PDFxChange Viewer restores the iFilter Settings to "PDF X-Change IFilter Handler"
Now everything works as intenmded, as far as I could already test.
So, there seems to be an error with the IFilter in editor Version 8.0.333
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi all,

We have a utility called XCShInfoSetup.exe located in this folder:
"c:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions"
Which can be used to set up the IFilter (and other shell extensions) for use with PDF files.
Maybe some other apps, like Acrobat, changed iFilter settings during an update.

bobn0gfh can you please check if "PDF X-Change" IFilter is selected when you launch that tool?

Regards,
Stefan