Mark pages with bookmarks in thumbnails pane

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

evdbogaard
User

Mark pages with bookmarks in thumbnails pane

Post by evdbogaard »

In the thumbnails pane, is there a way to mark pages with bookmarks on it?

I frequently have to edit pdf’s with bookmarks so that each bookmarked page is on an odd pagenumber.
I know I can select all bookmarked pages but if I go to one of the selected pages and insert a blanc page before it (so it goes from an even to an odd pagenumber) the selection disappears.

It would be very helpful if I could add a visual clue to all bookmarked pages in the thumbnails pane. Maybe (manually) adding a color to selected thumbnails or a view option on the same criteria as the selection criteria?
Ed van den Bogaard
Happy PDF-XChange PRO user since 2008 (version 4)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Mark pages with bookmarks in thumbnails pane

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi evdbogaard,

Thanks for the post - I'm afraid that this cannot be done as the Thumbnails Pane only displays a page preview, nothing more. You could add something directly to the page that would be reflected in thumbnail though.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
evdbogaard
User

Post by evdbogaard »

Hi Will,

Thanks for your swift reply.

That the current thumbnails pane is limited to just previews, means that my question transforms to a feature request. It should be possible to add (for example) a color to a selected thumbnail, either (preferably) as property added to the page (which can be saved into the document) or as a temporary marking until the thumbnails pane or the file is closed.

Another approach might be a feature on the bookmarks pane to insert a blanc page before each bookmarked even page (so all bookmarked even pages become odd pages). Or is this already possible?

Kind regards,
Ed
Ed van den Bogaard
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello evdbogaard,

I am afraid that the Thumbnails pane is designed to be quick and simple preview of the pages, and has never been intended to allow you to make modifications. The thumbnails themselves are simple images rendered from the main page content. To be able to allow even some changes to a page through there would require to make those non image objects which will make them way too heavy and unusable for their main purpose. So I am afraid that this feature request will have to be turned down, and document editing will have to still only in the main document area.

Regards,
Stefan
evdbogaard
User

Post by evdbogaard »

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the clear answer.

Remains my other question: is there a way to insert a blanc page before each even page that has a bookmark on it (so all bookmarked even pages become odd pages)?

Regards,
Ed

PS: 1000 compliments for adding the feature to rename opened pdf's!
Ed van den Bogaard
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello evdbogaard,

It would be possible using PDF-Tools to split the document, then append a blank page before each, and merge the document back together, however this would unfortunately break the bookmark structure you have setup, so it is not really an option. Beyond that though, I am not sure if doing this would accomplish what you are looking for. If for example, all bookmarks are on even pages [2,4,6,8] and you appended a blank page in front of each of them, half would still be on even pages [3,6,9,12]. If you are needing them all to appear on odd page numbers, adding a single blank page before the first bookmark would suffice.

Unfortunately, as bookmarks do not have physical locations in the document (they are instead a set of directions, akin to a map), it is not possible to dynamically detect where they are, append pages before them automatically, and then adjust all the following bookmarks to reflect a new page number, before repeating the process again (possibly dozens of times).

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
evdbogaard
User

Post by evdbogaard »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.

Sometimes, what you think should be easy turns out not to be.
So I think I'll stick with 'manual labour'.

Thanks anyway for the explanations.

Regards,
Ed
Ed van den Bogaard
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

My apologies that we couldn't offer a better solution here.

We will keep your suggestions in mind, and consider it again should we find another way of doing things.

All the best,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com