[Feature request]: scroll to switch tabs like Office in the ribbon UI

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

featerjoe
User

Post by featerjoe »

Version: 8.0 build 331.0

The "mouse wheel scrolling" feature in the ribbon UI is not intuitive and convenient enough. I need some cumstomizable options here. Here are two features I wish to have in the following updates.

1. When scrolling down on the toolbar tabs, the tab scrolls to the left is counterintuitive!!
Look at the same feature in the ribbon UI of Office (like Word and Excel), they just scroll tabs to the right while scrolling mouse wheel down. I think it's good to have a customizable option to scroll the tabs to right (i.e. from Home, View all the way to Help) while I scroll my mouse wheel downwards.
It is more intuitive to me that mouse wheel scrolling up corresponds to moving left and scrolling down corresponds to moving right.

2. The mouse wheel are not that useful while leaving the tabs area.
I can only scroll mouse wheel to switch tabs while the mouse cursor over the tabs area (Home, View and Comment ...). I can't scroll to switch tabs while my mouse cursor on the tool icons area is below the tab. Microsoft Office has this feature to switch the tabs more freely. I think it convenient to switch tabs this way.

Thanks
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: [Feature request]: scroll to switch tabs like Office in the ribbon UI

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Featerjoe,

Thank you for the suggestions, I have created a formal request for these items. I do agree, the current handling feels a bit backwards and lacking. I cannot make any guarantees at this time, but know it will be duly considered by the Dev team. For Reference, you can ask any member of our support team about the following ticket for an update:
RT#4871: Scroll Through Tabs improvements

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
DIV
User

Post by DIV »

I hadn't noticed any problems with the directionality, but I did notice that in version 9 of Editor scrolling the ribbon tabs by turning the scroll wheel on the mouse is still only effective while the mouse pointer is hovering over the titles of each tab on the ribbon (akin to the old "menu bar"). I too think it would be more intuitive (and consistent with applications such as in the MS Office suite) to also scroll through the ribbon tabs while the mouse hovers over the icons in the active ribbon tab (akin to the old "toolbar"). Currently using the scroll wheel on the mouse while the pointer is in that region of the screen has no effect.
—DIV
Giraffe
User

Post by Giraffe »

Most useful would be that from Opera 12: R-button+scroll down to go to the right (next) tab; R-button+scroll up to go to the left (previous) tab.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hi DIV,

So far these changes have not been implemented, but the ticket is still open, I will prompt the dev team on this and hope we can see an update in the near future.

Giraffe, I am unsure that would be a good fit for our software, I can understand it working in some other cases, but it will not likely be implemented here.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
DIV
User

Re: [Feature request]: scroll to switch tabs ... FIXED

Post by DIV »

It seems that scrolling the ribbon tabs by rotating the mouse wheel while hovering over the ribbon icons/buttons is now implemented as of version 9.1. (Based on my portable installation of PDF-XChange Editor Plus version 9.1, build 356.0.)

I appreciate the receptiveness of Tracker Software's developers and support staff. Keep up the great work!

Thanks,
DIV
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

:)

Support@pdf-xchange.com