Best way to reduce file size

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

DWC121
User

Best way to reduce file size

Post by DWC121 »

I know this topic has been dealt with before. There are many places where a file size can be manipulated AND it depends on what the user needs, such as OCR, comments included, etc. Sometimes it is painful to search through all the postings (Search = "file size") but I find solutions not quite relevant to me.

In my case, I "import" bmp files to create a pdf. Sometimes I will convert my bmp files to jpg beforehand to get a smaller pdf. Because of the work I'm doing, my bmp files are 150dpi. I know that is excessive so sometimes I'll shrink them beforehand to 75dpi. The type (fonts) just aren't as crisp. All the images are 8-1/2" x 11".

There are times when I need OCR for a document that might be 100 pages. Using V8 build 331.0 the file sizes are quite large. I'll often use my portable version of PDF-XChange (V6.0 Build 317.1) and will have a more manageable file size.

Right now I finished working on a smaller pdf. I do NOT need OCR for this pdf. I used both V8 and V6. Both pdf's were created from bmp files at 150 dpi. Both files are attached. I believe all the import options are set the same in both V6 and V8. I share my files with a few people and some of them like to print the pdf. Smaller pdf's are easier to e-mail too.

1) What is the easiest way to shrink the size of the Version 8 file if I am NOT going to apply OCR?
2) As I mentioned, sometimes I need to apply OCR. If I was going to apply OCR to the attached pdf's, what is the easiest way to shrink the size of the Version 8 file?

Thanks - David
Attachments
Version 8-0 Build 331-0.pdf
(4.17 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
Version 6-0 Build 317-1.pdf
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Best way to reduce file size

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello David,

I've looked at your sample files, and indeed one is larger than the other, but the quality of the images is also different. E.g I was looking at the lady with the dress on the first page. At 400% zoom you can see that the V6 created file is blurrier than the V8 one. Yes this comes at a cost of a larger file, but it's better to create the file larger as you can then reduce the quality if needed to make it smaller, while the other way around doesn't really work :)

So please try to open your V8 created file and go to File -> Save as Optimized...
And try to save a new copy of your document. I used these settings:
settings.png
And got the below attached result - a bit bigger than the V6 file, but if I had used a bit lower quality -I would have received comparable result to what V6 produces size and quality wise.

Regards,
Stefan
Attachments
Version 8-0 Build 331-0_Optimized.pdf
(2.22 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
DWC121
User

Post by DWC121 »

Stefan,

I tried as you suggested, and yes, the newly saved V8 file was smaller than the previous V8 file. THANK YOU :D .

When I have a few minutes I'll experiment with the other options in the "File -> Save as Optimized..." screen.

David
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:D