blacken and anonymize

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Julia Valenta
User

blacken and anonymize

Post by Julia Valenta »

Hello!

Our company is using PDF XChange Editor. We bought it in ordner to blacken and anonymize documents. We are a legal company, so we are receiving documents (like judgements) from the court, then we need to anonymize the names and upload it. For anonymizing we use the function of PDF XChange "protect"/"mark to blacken"; Then we mark all the names and then normally you make a right-click and you select "now blacken all the selected passages"... but this one is always grey and inactive, so we can not click on it.

Our IT thinks its because of the signature of the court, that we can not edit the document...

Can you help to fix this? I'd be happy if you answer in German or call me, its difficult for me to write and understand about IT issues, espcially in English...

Thank you!
Julia
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: blacken and anonymize

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

Hello Julia,

Yes, if the document is protected from editing by the signature, nothing permanent can be done to cover the names.

You can cover them, by choosing fill color from the Format tab but this will not remove the content behind the field.

If you can, please send us an example file, so we can be able to see what security settings are applied.

Regards.
mk795
User

Post by mk795 »

we have a similar issue, unfortunately.
@PDFXCHange: Is there a chance, this feature could be added? (blacken already signed documents)
This would be a great improvement for our company when blacken of approved documents for e.g. customer audits is required.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Well one of the problems here is that signed documents are signed specifically to prevent changes and removing the content is a change. You can cover it, but the nature of a signed document is such that you cannot remove the content.

The only way to get a redacted version I can think of would be if printing is allowed and you print to PDF a new unsecured version. Signed (secured) PDFs may not have content removed as defined in the PDF specification. I don't think you will find an application to do this.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
mk795
User

Post by mk795 »

Thank you for the fast reply.

With printing the pdf to get a unsecured version is the way we do it currently and signing the balckened version again to secure the document. But I thought it is a bit of cumbersome that way. However, you're explanation makes totally sense that editing a secured document shall not be allowed.

Regards
Dimitar - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

blacken and anonymize

Post by Dimitar - Tracker Supp »

:)