Editor Forgets adjustments  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

humam2104
User

Editor Forgets adjustments

Post by humam2104 »

Also please note that there's a problem within your program too!

when I'm working on the program, it totally forgets the adjustments (comment adjustments) that I've made, fonts and keyboard shortcuts...

I hope you would consider this too
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Editor Forgets adjustments

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Human2104,

I split this to a new topic from your original post, as it is a different issue.
Could I ask you to please elaborate on this issue a bit more, and provide an example of this happening, with steps to reproduce it?

Thank you!
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
humam2104
User

Re: Editor Forgets Some Settings

Post by humam2104 »

If you still face issues with PDFXChange having some troubles with the program when it doesn't remember some of the settings you used, like keyboard shortcuts or whatever.
You should close the program in order for it to remember the settings you've changed within it.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32855&p=138686#p138686
This topic is related to this matter.
This is not a fix but a workaround.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Hello Humam2104,

I am a bit confused by your varying statements across the posts referenced and this thread.
In your other topic, you open by saying
it seems whenever I close the application or restart my PC, these keyboard shortcuts are not being remembered by the program!
Then with no confirmation of whether or not Will's suggestion helped whatsoever, you've said that closing and reopening the software DOES save the changes?
I found the solution for this issue.
The program doesn't save the customized shortcuts until its closed, so when customizing shortcuts you should close the program for it to save these changes in properties.
Here in this post, you have opened on the topic of the program forgetting adjustments made, but again without any confirmation to acknowledge my request for further details, you proceeded to say that some settings are not remembered.

Keyboard shortcuts are certainly remembered immediately upon changing and do not require the software to be closed to take effect. For that matter, nearly all settings that are not marked as "requires restart" (which to my knowledge are only some Plugin settings, such as EOCR, and the UI scaling settings), should not require a restart to take effect.

I am afraid that If you are not willing to help us to help you, by answering the questions that we have asked and confirming whether or not our suggestions have had any effect, we will not be able to offer much assistance at all.

You said,
If you still face issues with PDFXChange having some troubles with the program when it doesn't remember some of the settings you used, like keyboard shortcuts or whatever.
Can you please provide more details on exactly which items you have tried changing the settings for, and what you tried to change them to, when they did not take effect? Closing the software should not be required for keyboard shortcuts to be changed.

With that information we can look into those items to try and find the pattern so that we can address the issue.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com
humam2104
User

Re: Editor Forgets Some Settings

Post by humam2104 »

Please check the attached file to see that the program doesn't save settings unless it was closed normally (restarted), in the GIF I quit the process for the program and the program didn't remember the shortcut that I set for my Hand Tool
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by humam2104 on Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello humam2104,

Yes - we store settings in the registry, and those are written at the time you close the Editor in a normal manner.
When you kill it's process in task manager it's normal that the Editor won't have the chance to save the settings.

Season's greetings!
Stefan
humam2104
User

Post by humam2104 »

It happens when my laptop runs out of battery, or is force restarted too
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Editor Forgets adjustments  SOLVED

Hello Humam2104,

That is expected and unfortunately cannot be avoided. Any time that the software closes without warning (including forced closes, and loss of power), it cannot write the most recently changed settings to the registry. I am sure you will find numerous applications which handle settings the same way we do that have the same issue.
Our programs, like those others, are intended to be closed properly, force closing should only be used in emergencies, and as even Windows itself can loose data on power loss, you should be frequently saving everything manually if working in a low power environment, or ensure you put the device into a "sleep" mode before it powers down completely.

Kind regards,

Support@pdf-xchange.com