Auto Recovery do not work

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

hafeesh
User

Auto Recovery do not work

Post by hafeesh »

I have set the autorecovery time to "Save autorecovery information every 5 minutes"
and
I was working on document for half an hour and made lot of changes.
Suddenly my PC crashed and rebooted.
When i try to recover, no recovery file available...

What is this ??
This function is not working ??
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Auto Recovery do not work

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi hafeesh,

For now the recovery data is held in memory. This means that if the Editor crashes, then the document recovery will work as expected, but if the PC shuts down then all data in memory is purged and the memory registers reset; this means that we cannot offer any recovery because we don't have the information anymore.

I will speak to the development team about changing this to work as closely to e.g. MS Office document recovery as we can.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi hafeesh,

I was initially misinformed here - I've now been told that we actually do store data in temporary files, as would normally be expected of such a feature. Here is what one of our developers has said (to me):
The recovery data is being stored in the Temp files not in the memory. He probably experienced the Bluescreen crash thus his PC rebooted. The recovery data should have been there after the reboot though we do not know the reason of this and whether the recovery data had been there in the first place. This crash of his PC could cause the removal of the Temp files or something like that. He should check those and see where there are any recovery files available at all.
Can you please advise on the above and let us know?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
hafeesh
User

Post by hafeesh »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:03 pm Hi hafeesh,

I was initially misinformed here - I've now been told that we actually do store data in temporary files, as would normally be expected of such a feature. Here is what one of our developers has said (to me):
The recovery data is being stored in the Temp files not in the memory. He probably experienced the Bluescreen crash thus his PC rebooted. The recovery data should have been there after the reboot though we do not know the reason of this and whether the recovery data had been there in the first place. This crash of his PC could cause the removal of the Temp files or something like that. He should check those and see where there are any recovery files available at all.
Can you please advise on the above and let us know?

Cheers,
I had checked and there were no recovery files available...
My PC had crashed with a Blue screen.
Actually this feature is useless, if recovery not possible when the pc shuts down unexpectedly.
Moreover the settings shows that "Autorecovery information is SAVED every X minutes"
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi hafeesh,

Thanks for that - I'll pass this to the devs. to see what we can do, but I'm not sure that we have many avenues of investigation here. As mentioned before, if there was a Bluescreen then the TMP files can be wiped and there is nothing that we can do to prevent this.

Regarding an auto-save that auto-saves directly to the working file: This isn't something that we would do as there are a large number of complications that cannot be solved (multiple applications or people working on the file; the fact that saving isn't a background operation and the file must be locked which can take a long time on large files, and interrupt the user's workflow; auto-saves during Bluescreens or crashes will almost certainly corrupt the file(s); etc.). This is why many applications do not provide an auto-save feature and instead offer the recovery file.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Roman - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Roman - Tracker Supp »

Hi hafeesh,

If you get Blue screen (BSOD), there is no guarantee that the data the application has written to a file will be actually stored to the disk. Because Windows could be unable to flush system file cache buffers to disk. This is probably the reason why you do not get auto-recovery file after BSOD.
We will do some investigation to make the auto recovery feature to be more reliable in case of BSOD.