setting tab order of form fields?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

wilcoxon
User

setting tab order of form fields?

Post by wilcoxon »

Is there a way to set tab order of form fields other than dragging names in the Fields pane? This is an insanely inefficient way to do it for forms with lots of fields.

If there isn't another way, please consider this a request to add such functionality (I find it critical). Ideal would be simply numerically setting the tab order for a field in the Properties pane (ex I want to move the fields at tab order 156-158 to tab order 14, 10, and 18 respectively). At an absolute minimum, how about allowing right-clicking an item in the list and do "move to top" or "move to bottom"?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: setting tab order of form fields?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello wilcoxon,

Having a form with 150+ form field widgets on the same page seems a bit unusual, but I will pass your suggestions for consideration to our devs. Please note that this is not a promise that we will make any changes, but rather that we will consider your suggestion.

And you are correct that for the moment the only way is to drag the items in the Fields pane.

Regards,
Stefan
wilcoxon
User

Post by wilcoxon »

On the Adobe Acrobat forums, I did find some helpful advice for PDF X-Change (odd place to find it but useful):
And in this PDF Editor any set of fields selected are easily rearranged in the Fields tab - even ones unevenly spread throughout hundreds of form fields. Just drag-select the fields in the form, and then drag one of the selected fields in the Fields panel, and they'll be nicely grouped together.
That's very helpful but still not ideal.

The other possibility I found on the Acrobat forums was to programmatically add an onBlur event to fields to effectively over-ride the tab order (via Field.SetFocus). That seems like overkill for most situations though.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello wilcoxon,

Thanks for sharing what you found in those other forums - hope it will be useful to someone else too!
And as for the original enquiry and suggestion - I've not yet heard back from our devs.

Regards,
Stefan
Oscar19
User

Post by Oscar19 »

Dragging the field names in the Fields list does not work when Options / Alphabetical Order is checked. To enable dragging, set Options to Order by Pages. After dragging and dropping, Options / Tab Order is auto-set to Order Tabs Manually.

As a last resort, you can move some fields' tab order by editing them out and back in:
- Select the fields to be moved to later in the tab order.
- Edit / Cut.
- Edit / Paste.
Now any non-edited fields come first in the tab order, and the cut+pasted fields come last.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Thanks for that Oscar! :)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com