Measurement value directly in the clipboard

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

PGB_FK
User

Measurement value directly in the clipboard

Post by PGB_FK »

Hello,

is there any possability to drop the value of a measurement, like perimeter or area, automatically in the clipboard?

E.g. I have a room, measure the area, go to excel and put the value of it with PASTE directly in the cell.

Thank you!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Measurement value directly in the clipboard

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi PGB_FK,

Thanks for the post - This can be done by double left clicking the measurement text, then copying the text out of the corresponding pop-up note.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
PGB_FK
User

Post by PGB_FK »

Thanks! But this is not really helpful, because if I copy it with STRG+A -> STRG+C -> STRG+V, which is the easiest way then, I have a text message in my excel-cell, and not a value.

It would be more helpful If there is the posability to copy only the value like 5.25 and not 5.25 m² (as e text), or like I asked in my question before, If you could activate that the value is automatically in the clipboard and I can put it with STRG+V in my cell.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi PGB_FK,

I'm afraid that this isn't currently possible, but I'll see if an option can be added. For now the only other option I can offer is the following:
image.png
Regarding the auto-copy of the value, this isn't something that we would add as it remove any previous data in the clipboard and would likely be more of an irritation than a benefit, to a lot of our users.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
PGB_FK
User

Post by PGB_FK »

Yes I know that export-function, but than it's faster, if I read the value of the perimeter or area and write it by hand in my excel cell. If you have a lot of rooms, like a hotel and you have to match every room an area in a excel-document it would be much faster if you have this auto-copy funktion, otherwise you have to write the room in your document, measure the perimeter and write it by hand in your document next to the rooms name. Maybe you could add an option "auto-copy measurements in the clipboard" in the Masurement Options. But youre right that every user needs different option.

Nevertheless, thanks!
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello PGB_FK,

If we do add this feature, the clipboard will bloat if there are many measurements in the document. Or do you suggest copying the data of only the selected annotations into the CSV like format?

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
PGB_FK
User

Post by PGB_FK »

I'll try to explain it:

I only want the value of my last measurement, or the selected annotations in the clipboard.

Step 1: Measure a room for getting the area, perimeter, ... (e.g. a room with 15.00 m²)
Step 2 in the background if I activated that feature: The program saves that value, without any unit, in the clipboard (like COLUMN C "15.00" if I export it into a csv document, not like COLUMN H where the text stands (15.00 m²).
Step 3: I open a excel document, or whatever I want, and type STRG+V to paste that value into my cell, e.g.

I hope you get what I mean.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello PGB_FK,

Here's a way to copy the information directly to clipboard - by right clicking the Measurement Info window:
image.png
Alternatively, you can open the Properties Pane and copy the values from there - there is even a total sum of the values if you require that:
image.png
Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
PGB_FK
User

Post by PGB_FK »

Sorry, but this is not true and definitely not what I'm looking for... Look at my attachement.
What is that supposed to do? I only want 1.13 in my cell, and not the whole text like:

Thats in my cell if I copy it the way you told me:

Abstand
----------------------------------
Entfernung: 1,13 m
Winkel: 17.41
ΔX: 1,08 m
ΔY: 0,34 m
Skalierung: 1 cm = 0,2 m
Attachments
example.png
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello PGB_FK,

Well if you read all of my post - you can open the Properties pane and see all of the info for the measurement tool that you need. You can copy all of the needed data from it.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
PGB_FK
User

Post by PGB_FK »

That's only possible if I mark more than one measurements. I don't need a sum, I need the value of just one measurement and that a lot of times. Yeah I'm sorry, I think you don't get what I want..but I can't describe it better than in my posts before.

I have a excel document:

COLUMN A COLUMN B
Room 1
Room 2
Room 3
Room 4
Room 5
Room 6
Room 7
Room xyz...

Now I want to assign every room a value of it's area. What I do know is, I measure the room, read the value and write it by hand in the cells.

COLUMN A COLUMN B
Room 1 5.25
Room 2 15.30
Room 3 ...
Room 4 ...
Room 5
Room 6
Room 7
Room xyz...

This is even faster than all the copy-possabilites you explained me. The only thing that would help me is an auto-copy of the value in the clipboard, so I don't have to read the value and write it by hand in my cell, rather I could type STRG+V and it will copy directly in the cell.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello PGB_FK,

Here's all of the information that you can get:
1) From the Area and Perimeter annotations, you can copy the value from the popup note (to open it - simply double click in the comments view or right click the annotation and do Open Popup Note:
image.png
2) From the Distance tool, you can get the information from the Popup note and the Length value from the Properties pane:
image.png
Also there is an export to CSV and Copy of the measurement info bar.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
PGB_FK
User

Post by PGB_FK »

I know all of these, I use them all for different work.
My question was, if it's possible to insert a option, maybe called "Auto-copy the value of the last measurement in the clipboard", so that every user could decide wheter he needs this or not.
In other mass determination programs you have this function, you determine an area and the value will be copy directly in the program with it's costs e.g.
But if this is not required, it's okay. Nevertheless thanks for this great PDF-program!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi PGB_FK,

I'm afraid that it's unlikely that we'll add this option; as Sasha said, it will clutter the menus. However, I do feel that copying the numeric value only might be a viable compromise.

I'll put this forward as a feature request.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)